my comp just randomly restarted

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
ok as i was walking back into my room, i saw my computer just randomly restart. It was just sitting on a webpage!! When it started back up, I got the error message below. this has happened about 8 times before during the life of my computer, and it just seems to happen after I've had it running for a while without turning it off. I've run memtest86 many times before, and It never tells me anything. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

untitled9tt.jpg

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    go to start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->event view->system
    look for red exclamation points, tell us what they are
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    there are a total of 646 errors. i hope this isnt very bad.. lol i saved the logfile, and uploaded it on my server -- http://stevoscomputers.gotdns.com/Picture_hosting/red%20flags.evt
    edited June 2005
    most of those errors are DHCP faults, which are essentially meaningless. the only thing that stands out at me is the ati2mtag error, which tends to mean your video card tried to crash. if it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry about it
  • edited June 2005
    you may want to see if there is an updated driver for your video card. or try turning down your screen resolution.
    edited June 2005
    well i've updated my drivers a bunch of times, and all the software and drivers are up to date. My screen resolution is 1024x768, so how could that be too high for a 9800pro?
    edited June 2005
    well my computer just did it again- restarted while i was in the middle of adding a comment on a torrent file. Now not only am i concerned, i'm getting really pissed off. i spent all that money loading this case up with expensive parts, and now its messing up :mad2: :bawling:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    What do your temps look like?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    9800pro does 2480x2480 fine :P

Any problem should tigger a vpu recovery with the videocard it could be the bsod is wrong.
    edited June 2005
    now that we've ruled out an application specific error, go ahead and do as prof suggested - check temps and voltages
    edited June 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    What do your temps look like?

the only temps that are accesible to me are hd and case (thanks to a ghetto house thermometer). The HD is always stable at 30c, and my case is 30.5c right now, and is never higher than 35c. I really don't know what my cpu temps are, because i have a cheap motherboard with no sensors :scratch:
    Any problem should tigger a vpu recovery with the videocard it could be the bsod is wrong.
    these times, theres no bsod. it just restarts.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Is your videocard overclocked? If so, un-overclock it.

When you install drivers, do you uninstall the older ones, or do you just install on top of the older ones. It may be worth it to completely uninstall all the ati drivers/control panel, and then re-install.
    edited June 2005
    no the video card is not overclocked

well thats interesting.. i am pretty sure that i had the latest ati drivers installed FIRST THING when i got my new card. Then later on, just to make sure, i installed them again on top of the old ones. I guess I could try uninstalling everything and then installing the latest ones, but this had happened before with my old nVidia mx440 card too! I'm beginning to think that it could be just bad ram like grayfox keeps telling me. :(

how can i know its ram? (ive run memtest a bajillion times) I wish i could borrow a stick from somebody and use it for a few weeks to see if it fixes the problem.
    edited June 2005
    actualy i think i have an idea now. I'm going to take one of the sticks out and run it like that for a while. If it still restarts, I'll try the other stick by itself. HOPEFULLY one stick will remain stable, and I can replace it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    It could be psu or hdd I need a voltage log :P

Start logging your voltage and start up hl2 or something and play till it resets then post the voltages.
  • edited July 2005
    my computer has been doing the same thing... while playing Half-life 2 as well. I'm using the ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro. My drivers are also up to date. I'm wondering if maybe ATI needs to release a patch to fix a problem with HL2 that they are not aware of yet? My comp restarts with that game.. but its fine any other time.. only hl2.. but if u figure out its something else email littlepeoplekillpeople666@hotmail.com thanks.
    edited July 2005
    haven't had the problem yet since I took out the bad Kingston stick of RAM, RMA'd it, and returned it to Best Buy for $90! ;D
  • edited July 2005
    haven't had the problem yet since I took out the bad Kingston stick of RAM, RMA'd it, and returned it to Best Buy for $90! ;D

So it's my ram? thats strange ive had this ram for like 2 years and never had any problems with it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    notsane wrote:
    So it's my ram? thats strange ive had this ram for like 2 years and never had any problems with it.
    Anything can break.

Try Memtest86 for a couple of passes. :)

/me is becoming the clone of prime... :vimp:
    edited July 2005
    lol prof

yeah anything CAN break. im not saying its for sure RAM, but its possible. It could be a number of things. Mine just happened to be a bad stick of RAM, or not fully compatible. I've heard that the particular Kingston Value RAM I had, was known to have issues with VIA chipsets.
  • edited July 2005
    hmm... well I went into options and noticed I had set everything at the lowest graphic detail... then I noticed there was a * that recommended everything.. the *s were at the highest setting... I dont know much about filtering... but since I switched from bilinear to trilinear i havent had any of the glitches and my comp hasnt reset... maybe my settings just needed adjusting..?
    edited July 2005
    very odd imho. If it fixes the problem, logic would tell you to leave it there! :) Good find to fix the problem.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    try this,

right click my computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery settings, under system failure, uncheck automaticly restart.

that should for the computer to give u a BSOD instead of instantly restoarting, the BSOD may give some indication of whats malfunctioning, i was getting it when i had bad ram in my system. just uncheck it and wait for it to try to restart again :) u should get a nice ol' BSOD from the days of yore