Video quality going bad!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I've had a Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB video card in my computer for over a year now (NF-7, 2500+ Barton unlocked, 768 MB PC3200 DDR, 350 watt Antec) and it has always performed well, but over the last week or so, it hasn't done so good.

Video playback is hanging, freezing, not looking good in general. I pause the folding program, and sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. And most of this is on video files that used to play just fine.

What can I look for to help fix this?

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2005
    Could it be heat? Try clearing the card's hsf of dust.
  • edited June 2005
    I agree. Sounds like overheating.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Well, the heat sink is clean, but the cooling fins are warm when I touch them. One of my big case outlet fans is right next to the video card, but on the other side of it from the heat sink, so the heat sink doesn't get direct airflow blasting through it.

Now and then (once or twice a week usually) I unplug the monitor cable and connect the monitor to my BP6 computer with both computers on and running, could that hurt the video card? That's been going on for about 5 months now.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    Hows the cpu and have you tryed lowering your overclock ?
    edited June 2005
    CPU is fine, I may try lowering the overclock a bit. It's currently at 11 X 200 FSB for 2.2 Ghz, (1.83 Ghz stock setting).
    edited July 2005
    I tried setting up another case fan (80 MM) blowing directly at the video cards' heat sink, and it doesn't show any improvement.

Could something on the card itself be going bad?