Screen problem

Krypto44Krypto44 westport
edited June 2005 in Hardware
It started when i bought my new graphics card. I took out the old one and put the new one in. I wasnt feeling to good so i put off turning on the computer and installing the graphics card.

I went to go watch tv when something happened and the fuse was blown. I went into the garage and reseted somethings so the electricity was back in that side of the house. Next day i turn on the computer to install the graphics card and play some games.

Then it happened, i turn on the computer and the screen does nothing!? To see if something was wrong with the moniter, i turned off the computer and took out the blue cord that attaches the Moniter to the graphics card. A screen came up telling me to hook up the cord. I turn on the computer without the blue cord in card slot (so the moniter still had the attach the cord thing up). As soon as i put the blue cord back into the card slot it turns black as if the the computer was off.

* I was thinking mabye the power surge did something, but i have a surge protector...
I also tried putting in the old graphics card to see if that would make it work, but it doesnt.

Any help is most appreciated!

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    Something broke :(

Try reseting the bios that may fix it

Also a surge protector is only good for roughly a year before its nolonger effective at saving the computer (1 surge and its toast and just becomes a way to have multiple out lets)
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    Does the machine power on but with no video?

Does the machine power on but does not post (the little beep at power on)

1. Unplug the machine and press the power on button.
    2. open the case and make sure that everything is installed tight, cables cards etc, make sure your drives are jumpered correctly.
    3. remove your heatsink and remove your processor and reinstall it.
    4. Make sure that if your new card requires power that you have a power lead hooked to it.
    5. start it up. If the problem occurs still, reset your cmos and try again. If that fails then try the video cards in another machine, if your dont have another machine, a friend has one that you can test them in, if they work then you know its a problem with some where in the main system.

I really would like to know if the system powers on at all and what behavior it has when it does, exactly what it does ie, fans spin up hard drives spin up, no post etc...
  • Krypto44Krypto44 westport
    edited June 2005
    The computer turns on without the card.

It turns on just like it used to, with the same sounds(clicks and stuff like most computers)

1. You mean unplug the comp so it has no power and press the on button?
    2. I opened the case and made sure everything is in tightly.
    3. If i take out the processor, i wont be able to reinstall it, i cant see anything on the screen
    4. I dont think so... its the
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102295
    5. Im pretty sure its not the graphics card problem, because even if i put my old one back in the screen is still blank as if were off.

***If i end up not being able to fix it, would buying a new mobo solve the problem? I would send it into CompUSA or Geeksqaud but its like 150$+ and i could get a pretty good new mobo for like 30$ more than that
    PS. Im currently running an ASUS P4S800D<--- only about a 70$ motherboard... so even if i spent a 100$ on a new one, its an upgrade
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    Krypto44 wrote:
    3. If i take out the processor, i wont be able to reinstall it, i cant see anything on the screen

what he means is to physically take off the heatsink and the cpu, then physically put the cpu chip back in. Oh and make sure your videocard is 100% in the AGP slot. My friend had a similar problem with his 5200 when I shipped his computer to him through usps. The mailman knocked the vidcard sorta outta its slot, so press hard ^^ and it might go CLICK :D
    edited June 2005
    Ahhh, thnx JC :D .... I removed both of them and put them back in... and the graphics card is in nice a snug ;)

But, it is still the same as before... no screen showing :banghead:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    Does the BIOS screen come up? Or like Gobbles said, try them out in a friends machine.
    Got an old PCI card to try?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    GrayFox wrote:

Also a surge protector is only good for roughly a year before its nolonger effective at saving the computer (1 surge and its toast and just becomes a way to have multiple out lets)

Cheap surge suppressor, yes-- But, get a $50.00 Tripplite surge suppressor, try a 5 years warranty backed by a damage coverage of about $5,000.00 if it fails. I have two of those here, oldest one is older than my oldest UPS (oldest UPS is a decade old and still works fine), and has nothing burned out inside and it works fine.
    edited June 2005
    No the Bios screen doesnt, nothing comes up...and its not like its screensaver(black but you can tell its on)... its just blank, as if there was no power to it at all. And the surge protecter is about 4 years old.

I'll try the card in a friends comp this weekend and tell ya what happens. I'm having a feeling that something might be wrong with something other than the video card(since my old one is no longer working either)...The mobo seems to come to mind first
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Easier, MAYBE:

Take machine to a friend's house.

Plug in machine, connect friend's monitor. (hopefully the friend you choose has newer monitor)

Video???? If yes, read on, if no do what others said instead.

Assumption-- new video card might be trying to usehigher rez and freqs than older monitor can support, so to see if your monitor will work AT ALL with newer card, we're going to use a feature in windows that lets you slow down a video card.

ZZOOOO.....

1. Right click desktop (not an icon)

2. Click properties.

3. Click advanced button on settings tab.

4. Click adapter tab, then click on the modes showing button.

5. Try your choice of sizes from 1024x768 downward, and then make sure that the mode you have will be 60 hertz.

If this works, start saving for a new monitor to go with your card, though once you get home you can then try different modes safely (XP and other windows versions WILL give you a dialog you have to click ok on within 15 seconds with a mode change like this, and change it back if no click on OK).
    edited June 2005
    My surge protector is the http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PER8T
    It has a $50k lifetime warranty... so i guess if something is wrong i can purchase w/e new equip is needed*if any

^^try to keep as the last resort ;)
    edited June 2005
    kk, ill check this weekend to see if his moniter runs my comp, ill check it with both vid cards... so if its the newer one i'll know somethings wrong and return it, but if its the older one too, i'll know that its not the vid card thats having the problems

This may sound repetitive, but i don't understand why the moniter wouldn't be able to run on the old video card- the one that worked before this ordeal
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    did you try a different monitor?
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2005
    Video cards typically boot up at a resolution low enough for any modern monitor (typically 320x240 IIRC). When booting into windows the driver initializes the monitor to the set frequency and resolution. I don't think changing anythin in windows could affect anything here .. 99% this is a hardware or firmware problem, not a software one.
    edited June 2005
    I haven't tried a new moniter yet... Lets say i do and the same thing happens, should i spend the 150$+ to get it repaired, or buy a new mobo/hard drive/whatever is needed to get the comp working again
    edited June 2005
    I brought my computer over to my neighbor's and checked it with both graphics cards, his moniter does the same thing as mine... so now i assume its a hardware problem like mobo or something
  • edited June 2005
    i have the same problem and i have changed the MB to a brand new one.

to no avail..

the only thing i havent tried is changing the cpu and fan. Do any of you think it could be related to that ?
    edited June 2005
    The cpu fan probably wouldnt do much to the moniter... i bought a new motherboard and the screen worked fine. So, im not too much help.

I had a cpu fan problem- the only thing it did was turn my computer off because of overheating. Mabye not enough power is getting to it?-My computer and xbox/tv are in the same room. if the computer is on and i turn on the xbox and tv, the moniter goes blank because there not enough power.
  • edited June 2005
    i have solved my problem....!! after 2 months 3 days and 14 hrs waaahoo!!!!

i was discussing with a friend at work who had exactly the same problem a year ago. He tried everything! Inc changing all hardware....

He then took all components out of the...put them all together on a piece of wood they all worked fine. He put them all back into the case and it once again didnt work...

He then put a piece of cardboard in between the back of the motherboard and the case, screwed it all in. and hey presto it all worked....

I thought it was highly unlikley but i was willing to try out of desperation!! So i completed the task...and it worked for me immedeatly!! couldnt belive it.!! so i though id let you know.

Try it, it worked for me and a college at work. You have nothing to lose.

Regards

Alex
  • edited June 2005
    i have solved my problem....!! after 2 months 3 days and 14 hrs waaahoo!!!!

i was discussing with a friend at work who had exactly the same problem a year ago. He tried everything! Inc changing all hardware....

He then took all components out of the...put them all together on a piece of wood they all worked fine. He put them all back into the case and it once again didnt work...

He then put a piece of cardboard in between the back of the motherboard and the case as so to insulate it from the case, screwed it all in. and hey presto it all worked....

My opinion is that the case was touching the MB in a place thus shorting or partially shorting it all out..

I thought it was highly unlikley but i was willing to try out of desperation!! So i completed the task...and it worked for me immedeatly!! couldnt belive it.!! so i though id let you know.

Try it, it worked for me and a college at work. You have nothing to lose.

Regards ;D;D;D;D;D;D:thumbsup:

Alex
  • edited June 2005
    Try putting the other card back in to see if that card works with the monitor if so then there might be a problem with the new card. :thumbsup: