Sometimes you just get lucky

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Hardware
The other day one of my clients went to an auction for a place that went out of business.

He saw an item listed as "server" up on the block. He bid on it on a whim. It had no brand name, it was a white box computer.

He called me and asked me to come over and pick it up, take it back to our bench, and "check it out". He wanted to see if he got screwed or not. He paid $375 for it.

I took the side off.

dual p4 xeons 1.8ghz, 2gb of RDRAM, a massive PCIx SysKonnect SK9822 dual port true gig-e network card (have you ever seen an actively cooled network card?), a very nice supermicro mb with an adaptec 2100S caching u320 scsi raid controller + 5 36gb 15Krpm scsi drives, in addition to an 80gb ATA drive, an SCA scsi raid cage, and a pc power&cooling 500w psu.

In addition, it has about $20,000 worth of high end RIP software installed on it.

$375

:grumble:

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Tell him he got ripped, and you'll give him $200 for it because you feel bad for him ;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    The worst part is - he passed up on TWO Promise UltraTrak SX8000 storage array towers - they went for $300 each :eek2:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Make sure he tells you when the next one of these is ;D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Does it fold? ;)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I believe the Hourly rate for PC Inspection is $65 an hour, rounded up... or F@H installed!!!! :D
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2005
    Wow thats awesome. Im going to keep my eyes peeled for these auctions locally.

How does one find these auctions?
    edited June 2005
    Yes, it's folding right now. Four instances :D

The auction was held by some "Group" like "Bradford Group" or "Smith Group" or something like that... I think they are a liquidation or bankruptcy company.
    edited June 2005
    Well, looks like i'll have this thing for a month or so while the client procures the server software and moves into a new building.

Guess what it's gonna be doing? :D

4cpu.png
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Does it fold? ;)
    Apparently so! :eek: