cooling the 6800GT

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I was wondering if 50c is to high a temperature for the gpu on my 6800GT. The card is a Leadtek A400 TDH Gforce 6800GT. It has stock cooling on it since I do not overclock. The temp starts out at about 41c and after 2 hours of gaming it goes up to about 50c, I would have thought with that BIG copper heatsink on it it would not get hot. The computer is in a cool basement with air flow all around it, and 4 case fans blowing 2 in and 2 out. I just installed the nvidia 71.89 drivers and was wondering if they are giving me this high reading. Also, what would be a good and easy to install cooler for this card. It is mounted on a MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum MB. Thanks for any input......

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2005
    No thats fine, mines exactly the same now it doesn't have a tec on it anymore.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    ......and the ones without the big copper HS run about 8C warmer.;)
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited June 2005
    Thank you both for your replys. Since I am kind of new to computers and an old fart that learns slow. I always listen to the voice of experience. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    Have you softmodded it yet to unlock the extra pipelines & get even more performance out of it?
  • edited June 2005
    There are no extra pipelines if it's a GT.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited June 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    Have you softmodded it yet to unlock the extra pipelines & get even more performance out of it?
    I have not softmodded it yet. I heard somewhere that I can flash it to make it run as fast as the ultra, is that true? If I do that will the card still be stable? And where will I get this flash program to do it with. Sorry for all the questions but I have a lot to learn..... :scratch::scratch:
  • edited June 2005
    You don't need to flash anything (in fact, I wouldn't if I were you). You can overclock the card using software to get it to Ultra speeds (just about all GTs can reach Ultra speeds no problem). Look for the applications RivaTuner or Coolbits for more info about doing it.
    edited June 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    There are no extra pipelines if it's a GT.

OOps sorry I thought it was 6800nu. Thats what happens if you start reading forums at 5:30 in the morning :(.

Apologies Ronbo. Do what SmJ says & find the an application called Rivatuner & use that to overclock if you want.

Actually to make up for my cock up here's the link.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited June 2005
    Thank you all for your help. You are now mentioned in my will....he he he