Two CPU Fans?

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Is it possible to have two CPU fans if I only have one heatsink? I am concerned about the computer's temperature and I have a spare CPU Fan, but I can't figure out how to get the heatsink that goes with it off the mobo, or how to get it onto the one I currently have. My CPU fan is currently going at around 1200RPM I think. The computer has been on and folding since 6:30 this morning (about 13 hours). If this isn't possible what can I do to cool it down?

Also we are currently having a heatwave here and the temps are around 90º. Could this cause the CPU temp to rise?

BTW: Its an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor if it matters. It hasn't been OC'd and the original/current clock speed is 2.1GHz

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    looks like there is something wrong with the numbers the software is reporting, your system temperature is below freezing right now.
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited June 2005
    Hmmmm. I just noticed that. Any ideas how to fix it?
    edited June 2005
    I am now running Motherboard Monitor 5 and it is detecting the temperatures at 122ºF and 192ºF. The second number varies from 192 to 195, which is prettymuch the same range that SmartGuardian was detecting it as (192 to 196).

EDIT:
    It seems that Sensor 3 (not sure what it's for, PSU maybe?) isn't working. It is constantly reading 32º.

CPU Temp:122ºF
    Case Temp: 194ºF
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    The 32F temp means that either the sensor is being detected wrong, or more likely isn't there at all. My old MB only had two sensors. When I tried to configure the (phantom) third one it would tell me that it was something weird, like -237 degrees.

As for the CPU heatsink fan, if the other temps are anywhere near accurate you either have a ton of dust clogging the fins, the fan is dying, the HS is not seated properly, or it is just not up to the task at all.

One other alternative is that all of your sensors are being misdetected and giving false readings. What does the temperature screen in the bios say?
    edited June 2005
    Last time I checked the BIOS it was around 147-152º and MBM is detecting the CPU temp at 147 right now.
    edited June 2005
    My CPU fan is going between 2636 and 2678 RPM and the System Fan is bewteen 1222 and 1240 RPM.

The other computer's fans are slower than these and yet that computer is cooler.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    First thing I always do when temps go up is blow the dust out of the heatsink with some compressed air. That usually take a few degrees right off the top.

What heatsink are you using? Maybe you just need a better one.
    edited June 2005
    I don't know what heatsink I am using. How can I tell?

I don't think I have enough dust to amount to much in my case, since the computer has only been up since January. Also I don't have any compressed air, but would a fan on "intake" work?
    edited June 2005
    I just rigged up a temporary fix and it is working for now. I took the side of the case off and put a house fan on right next to it, so it's blowing air into the case for more circulation. It went from 192-197º to 186-192º.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited June 2005
    Its still pretty hot. I would take off the cpu heatsink, clean all the dust from it and remount it using some Artic Silver. I bet you'll see your temps drop quite a bit. If not then its time for a new heatsink.
    edited June 2005
    I don't know how to do any of that and I don't know what Arctic Silver is :(. The computer has always run really hot though, so I'm wondering if it's just this weather that's causing it to be in the 180s/190s.
    edited October 2005
    I just figured I'd post a checkup: Feeling around the components of my computer (probably not the best thing to do), the only thing that was hot enough to make me go "ow!" was my video card. I knew that it could not possibly be 192º in there, so I decided to scrap MBM and get SiSoft Sandra. Sandra is reporting my temps to be 34.0ºC System and 54.5ºC CPU. That's 93ºF System and 130.1ºF CPU. This is much better, but still seems just a tad on the hot side compared to my other system which runs at around 115-120ºF CPU (I only checked in the BIOS, I haven't installed any monitoring software on it yet). I'm not having any problems, so that's a good sign, but should I be worried? I don't think so, but I'm just wondering if I should get the K6-2 fan back from my friend.
  • edited October 2005
    No, don't even bother trying out that old K6-2 hsf as it will never handle the heat put out by your 3000 proc.

You will probably need to replace your present heatsink with something better, such as the Thermalright SI-97 and use a medium speed fan such as the 92mm Panaflo fan, which should be just as quiet as a stock retail XP hsf. When installing, use some Arctic Silver 5 heatsink compound for better heat transfer to the heatsink. You can clean up your processor with denatured alcohol or paint thinner, followed by the alcohol, to get rid of the old thermal interface material off the processor.

If you are uncomfortable trying to use the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, they also have the thermal interface pads like those that come on a stock hsf too. Those are 1 time use only though and need to be replaced any time the hsf is removed from the processor.

BTW, the company I linked to, Sidewidercomputers.com, is one of the very best online e-tailers and you can place your order over the phone if you are uncomfortable with placing your order online.
    edited October 2005
    Well I'm not going to screw with the heatsink, since I don't want to void my warranty. There is hardly any dust in the case, but should I clean it out anyways? Would it bring the temps down?
    edited October 2005
    You should get a second opinion, but I'd say if the rig is Folding then the temps you listed in Post #13 are not unreasonable. The only one I'd possibly be concerned with is the video card temp, but if you're not seeing artifacts on the screen under heavy 3-D gaming I wouldn't even worry about that. :)
    edited October 2005
    Wow, I never realized how much folding increases the temp! I just paused folding to take another reading and it's only 34ºC for the CPU temp... I guess I don't have to worry about teh temps!
    edited October 2005
    That's the difference between your CPU doing nothing and having it go all out.

Those idle temps look nice. :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    Yep, it even went as low as 32.5ºC. I'm glad that it was just MBM5 reporting bad temps and not my computer actually being 196ºF inside.