Thoughts?

edited June 2005 in Hardware
This will be my first time building a computer from parts. :D So any hints will be helpful.

I would also like any thoughts on the Pentium D Processor.

Here is what I have so far, I think I am missing something, but cant figure out what.

I am in no way set on this setup and I am trying to the the most power for the $ and trying to not break $1000 but could a little if necessary .

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    that link wont work the way you want it to (for anyone other than yourself). you're going to need to copy / paste your shopping cart here
  • edited June 2005
    Oops wasn't sure if that would work

Parts:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
    $67.95

Intel Pentium® D Processor 820 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2x1MB Cache, Dual Core
    $299.00

Gigabyte GA-8I955X Royal 955X Pentium D 1066FSB LGA775 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Dual Gigabit LAN, Serial ATA II
    $219.99

Sapphire Radeon X700 PCI Express 128MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI
    $105.99

Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS Mid Tower Case (Black) w/Window Retail
    $77.99

Logisys PS500MSRD 500W Meshed Red LED ATX/BTX Power Supply
    $36.99

Corsair VS2GBKIT533D2 2GB Kit DDR2-533 PC2-4200 Value Select Memory
    $190.00

Subtotal: $997.91
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    looks good except for 2 things

1) that power supply is probably not going to work well like you think it will. you should go for a name brand like antec or enermax, they're more expensive for a reason

2) most people, including me, will suggest you not buy Gigabyte motherboards. go for abit or asus maybe?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    You could save some money and get a faster processor if you go amd too :)

But yah definatly change that psu to an antec or enermax
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    Big-Pat wrote:
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
    $67.95
    You could get a 160GB Seagate drive with the same specs for $30 more:

At Newegg
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    and you can often find rediculous deals on hds at
    www.bensbargains.net
    www.slickdeals.net

what are your main uses for this pc going to be?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    Wow, those Intel dual cores are pretty affordable.

That should be a pretty good general-purpose system Big-Pat. If you are big into gaming, I'd recommend a different graphics card, and a look at an AMD Athlon 64 based platform. For every day computing, and the likes, this should do well.
  • edited June 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    1) that power supply is probably not going to work well like you think it will. you should go for a name brand like antec or enermax, they're more expensive for a reason

I was wondering about that is this a good one
    TheBaron wrote:
    2) most people, including me, will suggest you not buy Gigabyte motherboards. go for abit or asus maybe?

Why, what is the problem with them.
    profdlp wrote:
    You could get a 160GB Seagate drive with the same specs for $30 more:

At Newegg

Good call
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited June 2005
    That Antec power supply should be fine.

Gigabyte boards have been known to be less than reliable, and their tech support is very poor. I prefer Asus, Abit or DFI myself.

I would definitely go with a larger hard drive. You can never have enough storage.

Do you need any optical drives?

The dual core Intels are pretty cool, but going with an AMD system would probably save you $200, and it wouldn't be any slower, it just wouldn't multi-task as well.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2005
    There is nothing wrong with a Gigabyte motherboard. I have one. It's stable as hell. It may not be the greatest overclocker (though I think my chip is just a bitch), but it's a great board. I can't speak for the tech support, however.

If you want it, Gigabyte is fine...
  • edited June 2005
    Madball wrote:
    Do you need any optical drives?

Thank You Very Much, I knew I was forgetting something. Now I feel Stupid.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I would get Asus mother board. They are the only brand that I've never had to RMA.

As for the PS, It's okay to gat a case that already has a PS installed. I prefer Antec brand, as they are stylish and affordable. Clients are always impressed with the nice look of a black Antec case...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Why not just by the system in this thread? He is a very well known and trusted member of these forums. :thumbsup:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33348