Need video card help

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Well, my brother's itching to buy something. It's between an iBook and a new video card. Personally, for how often we're home where he can use his desktop, I think an iBook is kind of pointless. I'm not even sure he'll be able to get on the wireless network at school, what with the logins required and stuff. Maybe, maybe not.

I really have no idea what's what in the computer world any more. I'm wondering what would be a good card to upgrade from a 9800se unlocked & clocked to pro settings. He's got a 2.8c @ 3.0, 1x512 megs of RAM, and said AGP video card. Where would having a card so powerful that the ram/cpu becomes the bottleneck, instead of the reverse? Since this is a pre-outdated buy, don't consider too far into the future. Consider now, with a possible RAM upgrade sometime. An x850XT-PE will obviously be needless overkill (if you can even get them in AGP). nVidia is also an option. If it helps, he mostly plays Call of Duty, SWAT 4, Brothers in Arms, Star Wars Battlefront, and some BFV.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    what about an agp x800xl?
  • LockeLocke Wisconsin
    edited June 2005
    I've decided to just get the X850XT. If I'm able to sell my current video card, and maybe my current RAM, then I'll buy some new, high-quality RAM.

I'll try to get the XT overclocked to the XT-PE or near there, if possible, instead of spending the extra $35 on Newegg.