Laptop ac adaptor

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Well a couple days ago my laptops ac adaptor kind of broke. Its made up of 3 detachable parts, and one of the little pins that attaches from the cord to the part that actually plugs in fell out. I put it back in, but it didnt work normally, but it worked if i put it in a certain position (i had to squeeze the pieces together, i guess so the pin could reach the other side)

Now, however it stopped working altogether, and my laptop only works on battery. I was going to buy a new adaptor, but started to wonder if it was just the adaptor since it had worked before (when i had to put it in a certain position).

I was wondering if there was someway I could test my computers actual AC socket, because I'd like to know for sure before I buy a new power cord.
It's a compaq presario 2100.
thanks

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Only thing you can do to troubleshoot that port is find a working adapter cable, and try it out...

but you need a new cable set anyway (you should never used dammaged power cables on any device, especially a laptop, even if they 'work at a certain angle'), so you might as well get the new cable (from your laptop manufacturer, not third party) and try it. Hopoefully you haven't damaged the lappy already by using the damaged cables...
  • edited May 2007
    I am having the same problem; i.e. I can hardly "power up" my Dell laptop, even with a new AC adapter and power cord. I'm sure that my "AC connector" worn out, or at least the "connector prongs" are worn down.
    Can you tell me if the AC adapter connector can be replaced or fixed somehow; there is nothing else wrong.
    Or do I have to get a new laptop!!??

tia, eclare
    CB Droege wrote:
    Only thing you can do to troubleshoot that port is find a working adapter cable, and try it out...

but you need a new cable set anyway (you should never used dammaged power cables on any device, especially a laptop, even if they 'work at a certain angle'), so you might as well get the new cable (from your laptop manufacturer, not third party) and try it. Hopoefully you haven't damaged the lappy already by using the damaged cables...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Just call Dell and tell them that you want to buy a new power cable set for your laptop. They'll ask you about you laptop model and lead you through the purchase process, they might direct you to the appropriate web page to order from, or they might take your info over the phone (I've never ordered replacement parts from Dell before, so I'm not sure what their actual process is, but that's who you need to talk to...).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    If you have a new AC adapter and power cord, and the laptop still does not reliable receive power from the adapter, your power jack is bad and needs to be repaired by an authorized service center.