DIMES milestones

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Folding@Home
Okay, I guess we need to figure out a structure for the DIMES milestones. I've congratulated a few people on their first AS links. Should we have milestones at certain MU (Measurement Units) levels? Or just upon discovering AS links?

Comments

• MediaMedia Wisconsin (CA transplant)
    edited June 2005
    I would think the following might work:

50,000 MU
    100,000 MU
    250,000 MU
    500,000 MU
    750,000 MU
    1,000,000 MU
    (more later)

Top 100 (all users)
    Top 50 (all users)

Top 10 (our team)

10 AS
    25 AS
    50 AS
    100 AS

AS links will be much harder to find going forward.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    whats the deal with AS links and like ASE or whatever the thing was? What does it mean, and do you just happen to get them if you hit the right measurement packet? If that's the case, that wouldn't seem like a very good measurement of progress to me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    yeah, it's sort of a luck-of-the-draw thing - however, the more computers you have connected and the more you keep them running DIMES, the more likely you are to actually find AS links, so I think they at least deserve some mention.

AS links are links to Autonomous Systems - completely self contained networks that are attached to the internet backbone (usually at one node). Each AS is a network unto itself. All the ASes in the world are linked together, which creates the internet. When you "discover" a link, you are not actually literally discovering it, but perhaps you have helped find a new or shorter route to that AS.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    so, I'm curious, is it worthwhile for me to run DIMES on other PCs within my household (that are also running F@H! :) ) or is it pointless because they are all originating from the same IP address?

And a question I posed earlier but noone knew or responded or whatever, could this program cause a question from your ISP with so many ping/tracert packets originating every few seconds from your PCs??
    edited June 2005
    Camman see the new FAQ thread about your second question.

Running Dimes on more than one PC within your home net is not a problem from Dimes point of view.

If too many machines are running Dimes on the same home network (one real IP address - I do not know how many is 'too many'), then you could run into the answer to your second question. Dimes limits each client to a minimum of 15 second intevals. You can slow down the client (time between requests) from the preference settings, and then add more clients on multiple machines to get a net increase in work measurements produced while not setting off any ISP bots that look for this kind of activity.
    edited June 2005
    Congrats to primesuspect! Now in the Top 100 individual producers (currently 88th)

Congrats to witenoiz for passing 400,000 measurements.

Congrats to dragonV8 for passing 300,000 measurements.

Congrats to Penguin_5333 for passing 100,000 measurements.

Congrats to Leonard 2 for passing 50,000 measurements.

Congrats to swwettz for passing 50,000 measurements.