Is this ok?

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I have a spare floppy drive that I saved from a computer that I found at the dump. I understand that floppy drives are outdated now, but it's good to have one for backup :). The only problem is that the floppy drive is beige and my computer is grey/black, so it wouldn't match if it was placed in the spare drive slot. I have another plug for a cable to plug it in, so I'm all set there. I'm just wondering if I can make this internal floppy drive sit outside of the computer. I thought about taking the L-shaped thing from a port on the back out (like where an AGP card goes) and running the cables through there. Would that interfere with anything? Do you have any other ideas on how I can run the cables?

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Yeah. Should be fine.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Or... Pop off the front panel from the floppy drive itself and paint the sucker black. I have painted tons of both floppys and cdroms

Tex
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited June 2005
    I just found that the port is for a regular IDE cable, not a floppy. What would this be for though? I only have one CD drive/burner, and wouldn't a second go as a slave? Same with a second hard drive.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    sounds like your 2nd ide channel...most mobos have 2 ide channels for a total of 4 ide devices. each channel has a master and a slave. floppy is totally seperate on it's own channel.

so you wanted to hook-up 2 floppy drives??? :confused:

p.s. the L-shaped thing on the back of your case is called a pci (or agp) slot cover.
    edited June 2005
    I just found that the port is for a regular IDE cable, not a floppy. What would this be for though? I only have one CD drive/burner, and wouldn't a second go as a slave? Same with a second hard drive.

You never put hard drives on the same cable as cdroms.

look around carefully. You will have one floppy connector also. Every MB has one and only one.

Tex
    edited June 2005
    "so you wanted to hook-up 2 floppy drives???"

No, this computer didn't come with a floppy drive. It seems most new chainstore-bought computers aren't since the other one didn't come with one either. I also know some people who bought new computers and they didnt' come with floppy drives.

So what would I plug into the second IDE channel?
    edited June 2005
    You want a cdrom and hard drive on SEPERATE ide channels. So the cd/dvd drives go on one and the hard drive(s) go on the other.
    edited June 2005
    I found that out a while ago when I tried to hook a CD and a HD to the same IDE cable. Would the second CD drive go as a slave to the first or plug into the second IDE channel?
    edited June 2005
    You want them (hard drives and cdroms) on seperate cables because they operate at differant speeds. Or the cd/dvd will slow down the hard drive.

You want all the cd/dvd's on one cable (they almost always operate at he same speed) unless you have unused ide connectors and then its even better to have each on its own cable also. Jumper them BOTH to "cs" thats cable select.

I jumper all my dvd's, cd's and hard drives as cable select so that you can just plug them into a cable anywhere and the controller figures out what they are (master/slave)

Tex