How to connect?

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Right now I've got my Z-680's connected to my A8V using the normal 1/16" connectors (three of them.) But I was wondering if it would be worth it to connect them digitally? If so, should I get the optical or the coax cable? The optical seems cheaper on ebay but I figured somebody around near is bound to be able to give me a better justification.

Comments

• JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    im pretty sure that optical would be better. Just have to make sure you have th optical output. The coax, while digital still uses electronic signals, and still will make that hum you hear in your speakers. Optical has no electronic connection and will eliminate that buzz. Somebody correct me if im wrong.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2005
    I think you may be. Everything I read said that Coax, as well as Toslink, eliminated the hum. I know when I play stuff via the digital cable, there is NO hum at all, whereas if I crank the hell out of it (z-5500's) on the analog, I can hear a slight hum if nothing is playing.

As far as I've been able to figure out, though, you can only use the coax for certain things. Like if you watch a movie. I can't get Winamp to throw the signal through anything but the analog ones, however :(
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    fair 'nuff
  • edited June 2005
    I just ordered the optical off ebay (like $7 shipped.) I'll post impressions/results when it gets here.
  • edited June 2005
    Okay, the cable got here today. I hooked it up and it is only giving me 2 channel output... WTF???

I've tried the settings in the Realtek Sound Manager (I'm using an A8V-Deluxe)