White noise.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited July 2005 in Internet & Media
I just watched the movie White Noise. In it the 'hero' uses a computor prog to download and manage VHS video. Does anybody know if that is a real prog or a movie one? Also what is the best way to get VHS video into my PC and what hardware would I need? I did try ages ago with a TV Wonder but it wouldn't do it.

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    hrmmm... I remember the scene.. I thought he was using a mac.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2005
    bothered wrote:
    Also what is the best way to get VHS video into my PC and what hardware would I need? I did try ages ago with a TV Wonder but it wouldn't do it.

You need some sort of video capture hardware. The Dazzle by Pinnacle is an affordable and well recommended option:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/VideoEditing.asp?Category_ID=1&Langue_ID=7&Family=24

Bear in mind that many capture cards will stop capturing if they lose video sync, ie, where the tape has been paused or has a glitch in it. A time-base corrector card (sometimes known as a video stabilizer in consumer terms) can fix that problem.

Dexter....
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    Thanks Dexter. Sorry about the delay in responding. The 150 looks like it has everything I could want. This is only needed for three 3 hour tapes but the TV card method didn't work so I think I'll order one. At least then I should be able finally to get them on disc. You never know, it might be the start of a little cottage industry. :)
    Thanks again.
    edited June 2005
    I would appriciate you views on this as well.
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264707
    edited June 2005
    One Dazzle 150 is ordered and winging it's way here. :D
    edited June 2005
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Bothered, busy week...

Dazzle should come with capture software, and if not there are several options available, depending on how much money you want to spend.

Let me know what happens when you get the unit and if you want to look at other apps.

Dexter...
    edited June 2005
    From what I've read it comes with Pinnacle Studio QuickStart. I've seen a LOT of complaints about the software. Most seem to use Windows Movie Maker. It seems the hardware is excellent, it should be here tomorrow.
    edited June 2005
    Ok so it arrived and I can get video into the PC, poor quality but I'm not used to the software yet. I would like to do it through windows movie maker but can't see how to add video device. The only one listed is the web cam. Does anybody know how to add the dazzle 150 to it?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Judging from the page you linked to earlier, you can't use any other sort of software with it...
    edited June 2005
    After taking the manual to work and having a read.
    It says the preview window displays at a lower quality to save on CPU load. This is restored when you burn a disc. I'm not sure how you go about making adjustments if you can't preview them though. You can save the imported video in several formats so you could use another app to clean it up?
    Dexter wrote:
    Let me know what happens when you get the unit and if you want to look at other apps.
    Although the manual is very thick and I haven't read half of it yet I'm open to Any suggestions?
    edited June 2005
    Sorted.
    If I use the svid cable I only got the vid in black and white. I used the RCA cable and it's all in colour and all the colour controls work. I won't post the results twice as they're already in the thread 'how to capture video'. Thanks for recommending this Dexter, it works a treat. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Ok, I have done a couple of discs, very nice. I have noticed something though. It takes forever to compile and render a disc. If I look in task manager, Stidio is using around 3% CPU while Folding is around 97%. I stopped the folding proccess to see if Studio would speed up and folding just started up again, back to 97%.
    Any ideas?
    edited July 2005
    It is a complex task, since it has to convert everything to MPEG-2 DVD format and then burn it. So it is doing a lot of steps. How long is "forever"...?

Dexter...
    edited July 2005
    Well for an hour of finished DVD it takes about an hour :) I know rendering takes a lot of work but it's the 3% CPU that puzzling me.
    edited July 2005
    You can try killing the entire Folding process. In Task Manager, go to Processes, and find FAH502-Console.exe (or whatever version you are using, just look for the console process.) Right click on it, and then select End Process Tree. That will kill all spawned process, and stop it from starting back up until you reboot your computer.

Try that, make a DVD, and see if the usage amount changes at all.

Dexter...
    edited July 2005
    Ah well, that's part two of the puzzle. I did that but folding starts right back up again, I can watch it, folding stops and vanishes from task manager then pops right back and starts up. The only way to kill it is through msconfig and restart.I thought folding didn't take priority, it doesn't with anything else.

Edit, ah, I was clicking end proccess.