cant turn AGP on

BoneBone Canadia
edited June 2005 in Hardware
My freind bought an ATI Radeon x700 256mb AGP video card it all installed fine etc and we updated bios and we installed newest ATI drivers now its all working fine except for one thing.

When you go to properties > settings > advanced then smartgart the AGP accelration or whatever is at OFF we tried put it at 8x and it said it had restart and test it so we did that and its still at off we tried it at 4x as well.

his computer has full support for it as far as we know and he has same mobo as me so i know his mobo supports AGP accelration or whatever. can someone PLEASE help. thanks

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2005
    What mobo? Make sure his mobo BIOS is set to 8x for AGP.

edit: I misread your question. I have read a lot of guides that claim smartgart doesn't help much. But I think that is also a BIOS option on a lot of motherboards.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited June 2005
    so smart gart doesnt actually determain the agp level? the bios does
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2005
    You mean like agp 8x vs agp 4x? Well on my mobo (see sig) has a toggle setting between 8x and 4x. If my mobo is set to 4x my ati driver will not stick to 8x.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    SMARTGART won't read my AGP speed correctly either.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited June 2005
    its set to 8x in the bios we checked and it still says off in smartgart, will it being off in smartgart affect the performance of the card at all?
  • edited June 2005
    Did you install the chipet drivers for the motherboard?
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited June 2005
    errr.. well we updated bios to newest one if thats what you means however does smartgart make a difference we have been playing san andreas and doom 3 all day fine.. so does it makea difference
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Probably not. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • edited June 2005
    It makes a very big difference. You need to install the chipset drivers in order to get everything out of the motherboard.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Smartgart doesn't make a difference.
  • BIGGIBIGGI Fort Meade, MD
    edited June 2005
    Smartgart reads my AGP setting fine. Though I did set 8x in my bios.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited June 2005
    just check asus site there is no chipset drivers to download. we got newest non-beta bios its all working fine like hes been playing games and everything fine... so do you think hes ok without smartgart being set