Any suggestions for a small printer?

metomeyametomeya New
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Ya i'm moving to the dorms, and I can't take my parent's printer with me.

So I'm trying to find a Black and White only, portable (not ultra-portable) printer that prints fast, and hopefully has a low cost per page printed.

I know i'm asking for just about everything, but hopefully just being black and white will make it easier to find something i like. Also, should I go for laser, or bubble-ink?

thanks

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    check on EBay for used Canon BubbleJets. I have a BJC-80 that is great. It is about 3"x5"x12". I don't have the battery pack for it, but there is one.
    I have never put the color print head in mine, B&W only. There is also a scanner head that fits in place of the print head if you really want multi-purpose.
    It is reasonably fast and small.
    Oh, and did I say cheap.
    Buy one with a printhead that is still sealed in the package.
    You can get the 'official' carry bag too if you want.
    I am sure that your notebook has an IR port. Make sure that you get a printer that has IR. It came with and without so check carefully.
    I have hauled mine all over the world.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    I have a laser jet 5L, its older but works great. Its slightly larger than a SFF pc. They dont make em anymore but you can find them used.

or new for this one, not to big...

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=Q2461A%23ABA&tab=detailed_specs&storeName=storefronts&landing=storefronts&category=laserjets_bw&subcat1=entry_level&catLevel=2#defaultAnchor
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    if you just want b/w go with a laser printer. samsung has some pretty cheap yet good quality printers...

like this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828112022
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    ryko wrote:
    if you just want b/w go with a laser printer. samsung has some pretty cheap yet good quality printers...

like this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828112022

yep i have that printer- very awesome.

Hey I'm selling a very small, and REALLY great HP Inkjet printer. Honestly - I'm telling you the truth- it prints very well, quite fast, and prints photos just fine!! Its a great cheap deal. It comes with partly used inks (one black, one color). Check it out please! http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33516

also, i have a brand new color ink cartridge for it for sale. Its genuine HP. http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33514
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited June 2005
    Okay I went to staples and i'm a little confused.

I saw the 1020 laserjet by hp. I also saw their 5740 or something inkjet. The 1020 was about $180, the inkjet was about $80.

But here is the things, teh inkjet printers fasetr 22-23ppm for black and white, and the laserjet prints at about 15 ppm. Is this right? Shouldn't laserjet is faster? And the 5740 inkjet is cheaper too.

The price difference made up by how much it costs per page? I'm confused :scratch:
    edited June 2005
    I'll give you my HP Deskjet 3740 for $25.00 shipped. Remember it comes with a black and color ink. It prints up to 14ppm black and color http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-372334.html
    edited June 2005
    metomeya wrote:

I saw the 1020 laserjet by hp. I also saw their 5740 or something inkjet. The 1020 was about $180, the inkjet was about $80.

But here is the things, teh inkjet printers fasetr 22-23ppm for black and white, and the laserjet prints at about 15 ppm. Is this right? Shouldn't laserjet is faster? And the 5740 inkjet is cheaper too.

The price difference made up by how much it costs per page? I'm confused :scratch:

no the ink jet is faster but it is an ink jet. The laser is going to have better black and white printing just at a slower pace. The Ink jet, especially an 80 dollar model, is going to be fast but the print quality is teh suxor...
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited June 2005
    So do I really wanna pay an extra 100 for print quality? :confused:

But laserjet is usually faster than inkjet right?

Still what about cost? Is inkjet going to cost more per page? How many pages till I make up the difference? :shakehead
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    metomeya wrote:

Not faster timewise for lasers less than like the ML-2250 Samsung (22-23 PPM, 1200x1200 DPI, etc.), which I have one of coming (my ML-1210 died after about three years of service), but lasers are DEFINITELY less per page to print with better quality at that speed than inkjets or bubblejets. I got mine ordered from the US part of Neutron Canada ( http://www.nextwarehouse.com/ ), no rebate, about $180-190 at respectable sources(NextWarehouse is shipping it FREE), and both denser and faster. Cartridges for it include toner and drum and fixating agent, about $80.00 for 5000 pages of printout (that's per Samsung).

the fast speed for an inkjet is its' lower quality printout-- real high quality could be more than a minute per page. Rule I use for now is inkjets or bubblejets for color (due to high color laser costs) and lasers that are fairly.
    edited June 2005
    metomeya wrote:
    So do I really wanna pay an extra 100 for print quality? :confused:

But laserjet is usually faster than inkjet right?

Still what about cost? Is inkjet going to cost more per page? How many pages till I make up the difference? :shakehead

I own both.. I have a nice little laser and a ink jet. Both are nice, the ink jet sits in the closet. I rarely print color, and its 50 dollars for a color and a b/w cartridge. The printer cost 70ish..

The laser cartridge cost about 50 and I get 10x the life out of it.
    edited June 2005
    yeah my ml-1740 samsung laser printer cost me $60 brand new from ebay. I love it soo much. The toner/drum cartridge is only about $40-$50 (3,000pages yield), but I'm still on the 1,000page toner it came with.

metomeya- Please let me know if you're interested in my HP Deskjet 3740 printer. Again, I'll sell it to you for $25 with shipping. I have 100+ 100% ebay feedback (pilotwings119) and I'm a very honest seller.
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited June 2005
    yeah my ml-1740 samsung laser printer cost me $60 brand new from ebay. I love it soo much. The toner/drum cartridge is only about $40-$50 (3,000pages yield), but I'm still on the 1,000page toner it came with.

metomeya- Please let me know if you're interested in my HP Deskjet 3740 printer. Again, I'll sell it to you for $25 with shipping. I have 100+ 100% ebay feedback (pilotwings119) and I'm a very honest seller.

Ya so you know i'm not reallly interetsed. I think I've been sold the laserjet way. I print alot so cost per page, and longevity of the toner, and quality are big for me. :thumbsup:

Okay besides the HP Laserjet 1020, anyone else have advice for good lower end laserjets?
    edited June 2005
    ok thats fine

i dont really know what you mean by laserjet. Do you mean just a regular laser printer? if so, the Samsung ML-1740 is wonderful. Its going on sale everywhere.