-forceasm & -advmethods flags

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
I know it's been asked a thousand and one times, but I'm going to ask it again.

What the heck are the "-forceasm" and "-advmethods" flags for? I know how to implement them, but I'm wondering what exactly they do and should I be running them on my folding systems?

Thanks. I'm back in the fold now, hoping to make back the ground I've lost over the last 4 months of non-production. :)

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Right click on the shortcut to F@H and put them after the address, so the command should look something like......

"C:\Blah\FAH\F@H.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

Forceasm forces SSE on 3.25 and it forces 3DNow! on program version 3.24 (so 3.25 is alot faster on AthlonXPs due to the SSE speed boost)

ADVMethods signs you up for the higher point wu's but they are realistically beta work units and are potentially unstable and dangerous (so they say, but they never are).

NS
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited September 2003
    Actually, advmethods directs you to the adv server. Normally you will get gromacs but could get tinkers or genomes as well.
    You will not get any beta WUs using advmethods.
    There is a different flag for that. ;)
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited September 2003
    So, for Intel systems, I'm going to want to use -advmethods flag only so I can get gromacs for it.

On my AMD systems, I'm going to want to use -forceasm to force 3DNow (they are Slot A Athlon's, not XP's).

Right?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    What if your running the console as a stealth?

How do I put those flags to use?
    edited September 2003
    SimGuy said
    So, for Intel systems, I'm going to want to use -advmethods flag only so I can get gromacs for it.

On my AMD systems, I'm going to want to use -forceasm to force 3DNow (they are Slot A Athlon's, not XP's).

Right?

Yes for 1, no for 2.

If you are using 3.25 then it will force SSE which they dont have. Just dont use -forceasm as I believe 3.25 does 3DNow! by default.

If not then just use 3.24 and use -forceasm with that instead.

NS
    edited September 2003
    RWB said
    What if your running the console as a stealth?

How do I put those flags to use?

When you set up FireDeamon to do it, it will ask you what extra flags you want to use, just enter the "-whever" in there (without quotes).

NS
    edited September 2003
    Thanks a bunch everyone. :)
    I'm using 3.24 and I'll get those flags in pronto.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    And that flag is?
    t1rhino said
    edited September 2003
    To use those flags you need 3.25 beta
    SimGuy said
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said

SimGuy said

Are you sure about that one?
    I used to use those flags on these systems back with 3.14 and it worked with the enhancements :)
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said

SimGuy said

Er..... no you dont.

-advmethods and -forceasm have worked for a long time.

NS
    edited September 2003
    -forceasm will only work on the first unit of 3.24, 3.25 beta fixes this.

Also, -forceasm on 3.25 forces the Athlon CPUs to use SSE instead of 3DNow!.

So, yeah, they'll work on previous versions, but not the way you want/expect.
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said
    -forceasm will only work on the first unit of 3.24, 3.25 beta fixes this.

Also, -forceasm on 3.25 forces the Athlon CPUs to use SSE instead of 3DNow!.

So, yeah, they'll work on previous versions, but not the way you want/expect.

Ah, you didnt say that before, but yeah, the one WU thing is annoying. Though I already stated the SSE thing.

There has been an issue with Linux for a while which they havnt fixed where 3.25 doesnt run (meaning you have to use 3.24) so XPs are stuck with just one SSE WU then 3DNow unless you restart it all the time. They really need to get it sorted out.

NS
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said
    And that flag is?

t1rhino said

It wouldn't be a secret then would it. :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I'm confused still:

-forceasm = ?
    -advmethods = ?

I have both switches enabled. Should I leave them on, or turn any off?
    edited September 2003
    t1rhyno: It helps the TEAM which helps the CAUSE.

Thrax: leave them both on!
    If you start dropping WUs on your Athlons then turn forceasm off.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said
    t1rhyno: It helps the TEAM which helps the CAUSE.

It does help the cause b/c Stanford can release newer WUs quicker. But there are sacrifices as well.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    -advmethod WUs are considered beta, kinda semi-beta WUs. They do not go out to everyone cause of some potential problems with CPUs heating up and other problems. Right now advmethods are all Gromacs. There have been times when advmethods got you genomes.

Forceasm - forces assembly optimization on ALL CPUs. AMDs and Intels should use some optimizations without any flags at all until they run into stability. Then they will run with standard loops until forced on again. Thats why you use -forceasm, to make it turn back on.

AMDs - for 3.24 it runs default 3dnow! loops even with -forceasm. Thats because of some cores had problems with SSE optimzations, esp Bartons and Tbred Bs. Then stanford came out with v1.48 and v1.49 core_78 and v3.25 clients. The new cores made -forceasm force SSE on the first WU with client 3.24 and then 3dnow! on everyone after. The only way to get AMDs to run SSE all the time is with the 3.25 beta client and -froceasm. The ONLY change to 3.25 from 3.24 is the AMD and SSE thing. The ONLE THING!

Taken from Stanfords beta page:
    3.25 beta (unmarked)
    - If -forceasm is used, then on every execution of the core until the client is restarted, SSE optimizations will be used if possible (if
    the chip is an AMD chip, then be default, without the flag, it would
    not be chosen over 3DNow). Prior to this client, this effect would have held true only for the first work unit run after starting the client.