This has been driving me mad for a week and a half!

kyro_02kyro_02 Melbourne, Australia
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Copying and pasting from other forum threads/posts that i've created on other sites. Which none were able to help me fix the problem. Only give me ideas & links to updates, which sort of helped. - by the way, hello over there - from australia!

----

" Well, ever since I got this 2x 512ddr400-3200 2.6v <b>KINGSTON</b> ram.

Once apon a time in the forests of ebay, I stumbled across two sticks of computer ram!

It installs windows great.

It installs all windows updates great.

<b>*-Fixed this problem:</b> It gets to the end of installing photoshop 9(99%) and then blue screen of death. This one is downloaded legaly off the internet, i've also tried the photoshop 7 (Both 30day trials).

I did a MEMTEST it completed sucessfully.

This was my bros old motherboard - K7 Trition - GA7n400 Pro2, - I even tried it with his ram which was previously in it (Rambus 2x 512 ddr400-3200 2.5v ram.) - It went great for 2 days and then BAM!!! out of no where blue screen of death. Well atleast it wasn't bad as trying to install photoshop or playing halflife!

Another thing I noticed is that as soon as putting the ddr400 2.6v* ram in, the aftermarket CPUfan(thermaltake?) was going twice as fast as when I had the ddr400 2.5v* ram in.

So i'm thinking the ram isn't corrupt but the voltage on it is greater then:

1. CPU/MOBO can handle (even when increasing the voltage for the ram in the bios) .

2. The HDD-Sata-80gb has conficts with the voltage of the ram(*it seems to have the blue screen of death when i'm actually installing something, and playing 3d games; hl/tfc/cs, bf2. - but doesn't do it whilst installing windows...*).

3. With everything else running hdd, cd rom, the ram voltage is greater then the max free power source left.

They're the only things I could think of at the time...

My specs are below:

Running windows XP - with latest updates

3200+ amd xp
2x 512 ddr400-3200 kingston ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128
Aftermarket Thermaltake jet fan?
Onboard sound
Onboard lan
1x SATA 80GB hard disk drive
1x LITEON cd dvd rom
1x floppy disk drive

Thanks in advanced
Greatly appreciated if I can finaly get this thing solved.

EDIT: Too much stuff to post, so i'll leave it has 2 posts.

- The RAM Sticks information:

2x DDR400 pc3200 CL3 2.6V (KVR400X64C3AK2/1G)

- My motherboard information:
GA-7N400 Pro2

I am 99% coming to the conclusion that my RAM isn't compatible with my motherboard. And i'm thinking the %1 is my HDD ****ting it self - sometimes I boot up and it says "Hard disk fail, please insert the disk etc etc..."

This is the EBAY ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Scroll down to 'supportered motherboards' - mine is clearly in the list - GA-7N400 pro2.
supporteredmobo.JPG

----

Getting random errors:

"PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

*** STOP: 0x0000004E (0x00000099,0x0002845,0x00000000,0x00000000)"

Mobo: possibly 2 years old

CD?ROM?: 2-3 weeks old

RAM: week and a half old

I'd get a new mobo+ram but I got no money that I can spend(bills and crap+can't loan any money )"

----

"Also got another error :/

RUN CHKDSK /F

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902F7C974,0xF7C92670,0x805157A5)

This one also said 'disable firewall,anti virus etc.. or check for hard disk drive failure' pfft :/"

Here is the memtest picture:
memtest.JPG
Ran MemTest for 7hours.

EDIT: The reboots can accur from inbetween 10minutes and 1hour of starting up computer.

Latly the computer has been rebooting with the blue-screen-of-death up 10 minutes in a game of BF2. So i'd say if the ram is getting a bit of a beating it will reboot...?

I will update this thread/post with anymore information that might help you help me solve this bloody ?RAM? problem(s)?

I can't begin on telling you how much pissed off I am right now, I'm really upset to the point i'm going to explode and completly trash this computer. This has not been fixed for over a week and a half - I cannot do anything on it apart from look at a few websites and let it idle without it crashing - with the blue screen of death."

<b>EDIT1:</b>

I've done a complete <b>WINDOWS XP UPDATES @ Microsoft.</b>

I've updated to the latest drivers for "silicon - sata, ata-raid"?? <b>si3112r drivers</b> - It helped and fixed 1 of the errors which was the "<b>driver_irq_not_less_or_equal</b>"

I've clocked the voltage for dimm slots from default to V+0.01 & V+0.02 < - doesn't make a difference. The motherboard BOOK said it only supports 2.5v MAX however - this ram is 2.6V and it said on e-bay that it will work without a problem. (ASSUMING The seller has looked up about motherboards that the ram supports).

I've UNDERCLOCKED the FSB/RAM and it didn't make a difference apart from making everything slower.

I've tried putting 1 in at a time - in all different slots - they all boot up but same problem. I've tried to put them in all different dual channel slots - no go. ALSO: While using 1 stick at a time apon starting up it said "<b>HARD DISK FAILURE PLEASE INSERT THE DISK AND APRESS ENTER</b>"? - Rebooted the second time, and it booted up.

<b>EDIT2:</b>

I just reset CMOS settings.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    Couple of things,

Was memtest run off a floppy or a boot disk of some sort, or was it Windows based.
    Have you tried your HD manufacturers website for a HD diagnostic program.
    Do you know what your voltages are running on that board? A flaky power supply will cause all kinds of problems.

I don't have this board but sometimes the bios will give you voltages and temps. Or try a program like Motherboard Monitor.
  • kyro_02kyro_02 Melbourne, Australia
    edited June 2005
    I will goto the manufacturers site now and see if they have any diagnostics tools.

Memtest was run off, of my hard drive - windows based.

Well if i'm doing the maths right,

default DIMM voltage 2.5v = +V0.00
    DIMM voltage 2.51v = +V0.01
    DIMM voltage 2.52v = +V0.02

or...

DIMM voltage 2.6v = +V0.01
    DIMM voltage 2.7v = +V0.02
    edited June 2005
    I just tried doing the diagnostics test by my hdd isn't supported....

Run: 6/20/2005 10:07:53 AM

Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATARaid Controller : ST380013 AS SCSI Disk Device
    Model: ST380013 AS SCSI Disk Device
    Serial Number:
    Capacity: 80.02 GB
    Test result: SMART self-test is not supported for this drive.

This may be due to a limitation in the Windows driver for the controller that the drive is attached to or the drive may not support the SMART self-test. In either case, this is not a failure of the drive.

- there were 3 options, I tried them all.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    On your voltages, look for the 3.3v, the 5v, and the 12v. Some variance is normal.

for example, my rig. 3.3v=3.38, 5v=5.05, +12v=11.80.

As per Motherboard Monitor. I believe it's in our download section.

As for Memtest, try from a boot disk, Windows will be using some ram that I don't believe will be checked with Windows running.

Checking SCSI drives, I'm completely clueless!
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    here's what you need to do.... donut is pointing you in the right direction, and i think you are getting close.

first you need to download the .iso of memtest86+ and then use nero (or similar) to burn a bootable cd-r with the .iso image. make sure you check the option in nero that makes any cd bootable. or you could go the floppy route and download the self-extracting .exe which will create a bootable floppy with memtest86+ on it. either way the floppy/cd-r you created needs to be run before windows starts immediately following the POST (Power On Self Test). you might need to change the boot order in your BIOS so that the floppy and/or cd-rom drive boots before your harddrive. something like 1. floppy, 2. cd-rom, 3. hardrive, etc...

also who is the manufacture of your harddrive? western digital? maxtor? seagate? samsung? i can point you in the right direction for the exact utility you need. i don't think you ran the correct test.

can you post the make/model/power rating of your psu? plus as donut said, check your pc health status inside the BIOS. look at the +3.3v, +5v, +12v rails. the values should be fairly steady and close to spec. really should check a spare molex connector with a multimeter, but the BIOS check might give you an idea if there is a major issue. also check out the cpu temp here. and you can bump up your RAM voltage as well if your BIOS allows. a little extra voltage usally adds stabilty so i wouldn't worry about the 2.6v rating.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    check to see if there are leaking/bulging caps around the cpu socket.
    edited June 2005
    My manufactuere is seagate

I will grab the .exe extractable file and extract to desk then to floppy disc and will see how it goes....

I put the dimm voltage to +V0.02 and I was playing for 30 minutes - then I got the BSOD (pretty good, considering the other times it wouldn't go more then 10 minutes...)

My CPU has always ran at the 50-60c mark (never had a problem until I got kingston) - mobo is like 2-3 years old...

The last error (which was when I was playing for 30 minutes....) it said IRQ_not_equal crap...again! :( - and my sili drivers don't look like they're updated - because the current ones say: "3512" and the ones (which are suppose to be the latest) say: "si3112r"
    edited June 2005
    I just found these sili drivers on your site and will give them ago! :)

3x12 SATA IDE Windows Controller Driver v1.2.0.57

The driver I got on at the moment is: v1.0.0.51

And assuming the numbers v1.<b>2</b>.0.<b>57</b> mean that they're latest version? - doesn't seem to want to install :( - keeps saying couldn't find better version.
    edited June 2005
    I did that memtest86+ - results below.

PASS: 100%
    TEST: 100%
    TEST #6
    TESTING: 108K - 1024M 1024M
    PATTERN:
    SETTINGS: RAM: 199MHZ(DDR398) / CAS: 3-3-3-8 / DUAL CHANNEL(128 BITS)

<b>WALL TIME</b>
    12:32:00hrs

<b>CACHED</b>
    1024MB

<b>RSVDMEM</b>

<b>MEMMAP</b>
    E829-STD

<b>CACHED</b>
    ON

<b>ECC</b>
    OFF

<b>TEST</b>
    STD

<b>PASS</b>

<b>ERRORS</b>

<b>EDIT:</b>
    So the memory test went for 12+hrs and then I couldn't wait any longer but it did test heaps & found zero errors and didn't reboot at all...

Could it be my hard disk drive perhaps?
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    Sound a lot like a power issue to me. Flakey power will cause everything you have described and then some. My experience with Kingston, I doubt its your memory, especially after 7 hours of memtest with 0 errors.

What we need ya to do is get into your bios and check your voltages. Dont adjust them, just write down your current 3.3, 5, and 12v rails. They will be fluctuating slightly but you can just post the average. I dont think that boosting the memory volts are going to fix things up. Id set it at default, maybe .01 over. Id look at your other voltages like cpu and the likes and try uping them slightly.

How does the system behave with the old ram back in it?

I assume in all this you are not overclocking at all?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    i agree with Gobbles in that it might be your psu. memory seems fine.

also here is a link to seagate's drive diagnostics... i would use "SeaTools Desktop" which is found in the middle of that page. http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

report back with the psu voltages found in BIOS, and if your hdd passes the diagnostic...
    edited June 2005
    Howdy,

Ok, first thing I did was check my voltages - and it doesn't seem to monitor the voltages (all it has is 'OK') next to each voltage...

Second thing I did was the diagnostics test...

I did all drives first, then it came up with an error.

I then rebooted, I then did the 1 drive that failed, by itself.

It still said failed (and this is the windows partition, i'm talk'n about)

Grab the .LOG file below - maybe you guys can determine what's happening there.

http://mpresv.com/files/DRV_80.LOG

Thanks.

Edit:

I just disk cleanup, and defragment and still get the error.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    run chkdisk on it...
    edited June 2005
    I've ran chkdisk, and complete without failure...

I redid the seagate test, and windows drive failed with critical errors >:/ [?]

I will grab my bros psu off him (it is 450watts, mine is 360 or something watts)

And see how it goes...hope it is just the powersupply or the hdd, I don't want to get another mobo :( - If I have to, i'm goin asus!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    Based on what I've read above, I'd venture a bet on the hard drive. You can get all sorts of BSOD errors from a corrupted file system. Most seagate drives have 5 year warranties as well.

Try the following:

Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt

Then type:

chkdsk /r

It will likely tell you that you need to do this on next bootup. Restart your PC and let it take its course. It is possible that you have some bad clusters emerging.

What brand of power supply do you have?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I'm for the HD being bad and\or too small a PSU being used for all that is in there. But try what the others have said so far, that makes sense also to drill into things.
    edited June 2005
    Ok, well...

I've got a new psu...I still get the same problem (got a 450W PSU) pretty cheap actually...and I still get the same problem...

I will try get my hands ona hard drive and see if that helps...

keep yas updated.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    I havn't forgot about yas!

Well, after going to 3 computer shops non are selling socket A motherboards anymore!

So I am forced to get my hands on some money and hopefully will be going out to buy the following:

Prices are over-priced - only so I know I will have enough when buying these. I can get all these parts for cheap (take $50 off each price - that is how much I can get em' for - but I like to have extra cash just incase the unthinkable happens...)

----

MOTHERBOARD: - $200.00

GIGABYTE K8NS ULTRA-939 SKT939 AMD64 NFORCE3

----

CPU: - $330.00

AMD ATHLON64 3200+ 64-BIT CPU SOCKET939

----

RAM: - $200.00

PC-3200 1024MB Corsair TwinX 184-pin DDR SDRAM CAS 2 (2x512MB sticks) 400mhz w/aluminium heatspreader

----

I will keep yas updated....and definatly let you guys know how I am going with my new pc if I get it - hopefully no longer then two weeks. :)

Thanks.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2005
    Some shops have to still be selling sckt A boards ... the Semprons (22-2800+) are still socket A and those are cheap budget chips (ie high volume). You could also try ebay (I found a couple socket A boards in AU). Upgrading to S939 would be nice... but it seems like a shame when you've got a CPU + heatsink just waiting for a new motherboard.
    edited July 2005
    Well, my mate was after building a server - he he needed some parts. As soon as I get all my new computer parts I will sell him (well, i've already sold the cpu to him, but he won't get it until I get my new computer parts) - I sold him my 3200+amdxp for $30aud (all I want is to cover the cost for my new parts, don't really want the extra dosh - I have got $200 already and will get $300 shortly.)

^ mates rates ^ :)