Which is the better Visual C++, .net or 6.0

rdwittyrdwitty Upstate New York
edited September 2003 in Internet & Media
I've been using a basic compiler for my programming (Borland), but I heard that Visual C++ is the standard for the gaming industry. I went to look for Visual C++ and ran into two versions: Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual C++ .Net version. Are they made for different programming aspects or are they one in the same? Which is better for me to get?
:banghead:

Comments

• reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited September 2003
    I have used both and prefer .NET. It has a lot of things changed from 6.0 for the better.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    .Net is better for a few reasons:

1. Service Packs will still be released, thus bugs will be fixed.
    2. .Net is closer to ANSI-C++ compliance.
    3. .Net has nice features in the IDE that make things easier to read and follow.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    I have used C++ .Net but never 6.0 Have both but I dont find anything wrong with .Net. No service packs as of yet. At least in the past 2 months.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited September 2003
    Definitely VCPP .NET (7.0). I prefer 7.0 aka 2002 over 2003. It's not perfect, but after becoming accustomed to the Integrated Development Environment, I simply couldn't live with out it. OK, I could, but it would be hard. Very hard.

Just don't use the .NET extensions (managed C++), the framework sucks. It's so slow that it completely defeats the purpose of using C++.