Hardware Rearranging...

NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I wonder, is it possible for me to take my Dell Desktop apart and put it back together in a different way as long as everything is plugged into the correct place?

Also, is it possible to take parts from my Dell and use them in a different computer (if I build one)?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    There's not really anything you can put back together differently. Everything in a basic PC only fits in one place. Why would you want to do that? There's nothing you can do to improve the performance of your computer just by shuffling parts around.

You can take the processor, memory, and any PCI or AGP cards out of your dell and use them in a new computer. You can also take the hard drives and optical drives. The motherboard is what makes it a "dell" along with the case and (in some models) the power supply. You would want to replace the heatsink, the powersupply, and the motherboard to truly make it a "better" computer - because then you can start to tweak things and perhaps overclock.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited June 2005
    Could you give me a simple list of parts that I would need?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2005
    That all depends on the model of your computer.
    edited June 2005
    OK... Well, what would I need for a basic computer?
    edited June 2005
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=151

start there for the basic steps. You are going to need the following to successfully upgrade your computer:

1) A new case and power supply unit (PSU)

2) a new heatsink/fan (okay, not NEED it, but I highly recommend it)

3) New motherboard that will support your current processor and memory

4) If your dell has onboard video, you will need a new video card
    edited June 2005
    Excellent! Thanx, I think this stuff will come in handy.
  • edited June 2005
    Prime-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most dell PSUs not ATX pin compatible??? (They're the same connector, but a different pin layout.)
    edited June 2005
    The older XPS-T series had proprietary PSUs. I'm not sure which models do nowadays (if any). I think maybe some of the 8100s do.

The motherboard is what makes it a "dell" along with the case and (in some models) the power supply.

and
    You are going to need the following to successfully upgrade your computer:

1) A new case and power supply unit (PSU)
    edited June 2005
    I need to get a job. I think I will go job hunting tomorrow. Maybe I'll see if George will give me a job at Deebe's. Who knows?

As for my PSU, I'm not exactly sure of what kind it is. I took my computer apart this morning and took some pics with my phone. I didn't really take pictures of anything specific.

Prime, George told me that you are going to reinstall all of the stuff on the back computer. When are you coming by to do that?
    edited June 2005
    Later this week, maybe thursday or friday