Computer won't turn on...

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Ok here is the story:

I recently fixed my comp. The retention bracket was broken and since the heatsink wasn't fully connected to the cpu it would overheat and the comp would turn off. So, I got a new bracket and fixed that.
However, the computer was going fine for like 2 hours, everything was fine. But than when I tried putting my USB remote control reciever in the front side USB ports it nudged the whole front usb, firewire, audio panel in and my comp turned off. Now when I press the on buttong it doesn't work.
The light on the motherboard is lit up... and I don't know wut the problem is. Do I need a new mobo, power supply, case with new power connectors or what?

Comments

• JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    you most likely shorted something out when you pushed the panel in. Open it up and see if there is any contact between the ports and the case, or anything that should not be happening ^^

-edited should be to should not.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    JChretien wrote:
    you most likely shorted something out when you pushed the panel in. Open it up and see if there is any contact between the ports and the case, or anything that should be be happening ^^

Change "should be be" to "shouldN'T be" and I agree except for one more thing:

Unplug the panel inside computer and take it and set elsewhere than in computer and see if computer works, please.
  • edited June 2005
    I opened the front of my case and checked inside to see if a wire came off or anything. But it seems to be fine, everything is in the right places. I replaced the power supply with a 450 Wat supply ( brand new) and it is still not turning on. I double tripple checked to see that the power and rest cable and all the wires are in the correct pins on the motherboard as well. The light on the motherboard is on as well... I don't understand why it would turn of like that and never turn on a gain. Anyone else have any ideas.
    Thank you.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    Disconnect the front panel connector leads from the motherboard and retry. It is however entirely possible that you zapped something but lets not call it dead yet.
  • edited June 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    Disconnect the front panel connector leads from the motherboard and retry. It is however entirely possible that you zapped something but lets not call it dead yet.

I did and it still won't turn on.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Take the motherboard out of the case (Still connected) and sit it on something (non-conductive) and try again.