3.5" IDE HD To USB?

GobdGobd Seattle, WA
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Or is there a better way. Let me explain. When I go to college all I want to take is a laptop but a laptop's small harddrive can't hold all my ****. So I want to take my big 120GB 3.5" drive and somehow connect it to the laptop when I am sitting in my dorm. The only way I could think of was an enclosure that would take the 80 pin IDE cable then have a USB (or Firewire) cable going out the back to plug into my laptop. I have no idea what these things are called because I have never looked for them before.

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2005
    you need something like an Icey Box 3.5" hard drive enclosure.

See this review : Icey Box 3.5" Usb
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited June 2005
    this one here seems to be a cheap and good external case which connects through usb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145314
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    I have a 20gb and a 40gb running through $9 USB 2.0 external aluminum enclosures.

Check eBay. Make sure its USB 2.0. They have hundreds of brand new ones go off ebay each day.

Tex
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    you need something like an Icey Box 3.5" hard drive enclosure.

See this review : Icey Box 3.5" Usb

My Icey Box died on me. Corrupted a HD with it, that I haven't managed to repair.

I'm now using this Bytecc 3.5" enclosure, and it's working great. The one maximus linked should work too, but you don't need one that's 5.25" wide.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    I had one called metalgear looks identical to the icy box.. POS in my opinion. Big bulky..

I opted for a nice smaller one from vantec. Its warm all the time but its small and I have a smattering of drives I can shove in it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145125
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    I had one called metalgear looks identical to the icy box.. POS in my opinion. Big bulky..

That's actually the one I have. I'm just assuming the same company is making them for two or three different brands. It was bulky, and felt fragile. It ran great, until it stopped running. :shakehead
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    You can also get a USB to IDE converter cable, and just let your drive sit out on the desk... cheap, but not good for the drive unless you crerate your own enclosure of sorts (ie. put the drive in a static bag)