Unmountable_boot_volume

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Good afternoon.

My Girlfriend's PC running XP home has crashed. When I try to boot, I get the blue screen which says "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I have searched around the web and seen the potential fixes involving Recovery Console, Boot Disks, Windows Repair install etc....

Here is where the issue lies; The laptop doesn't have a floppy drive and came with XP installed OEM so there is no XP CD and it doesn't have Recovery Console as one of the F8 options.

At this point in time, I am rather content with just running the Toshiba Restore CD which will wipe out the system and put it back to day 1 but I would like to get some important files off the machine first.

I have seen a fix which runs MEPIS LIVE from a boot CD? and allows an external USB drive to be hooked up to the device to copy data. I have 2 working computers W/ XP home running on both as well as a USB DVD burner and USB external HDD.

I would appreciate either a walk through regarding this solution or if anyone has another potential solution that will allow me to pull the data before wiping the system clean.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Can you not use one of your XP home CD's to boot into recovery console? You said you had a pair of computers also running XP home? You mean not a single one of these machines has a real XP home cd?

95 percent chance you don't need to copy anything off you just need to get to a command prompt and clean the filesystem. And your done in 5 minutes.

PM8 for example and other disk/partitioning tools have a way to make a boot disk that you can run their utilitys from also.

Tex