edited June 2005 in Hardware
MY computer SPECS

HIS EXCALIBUR radeon 9800xt 256mb
ASUS P4C800
seagate 40gig
maxtor 40gig
2x256mb twinmos ddr 400
viewsonic e70 monitor

I really really need your help. i am at a loss at what's wrong with my computer. i shutdown it the last time i used it, when

i turned it up again there's no display. so i checked my vidcard if it's dirty or loose.i even set the jumper of the mobo to

set the default cmos settings. all to no avail. so i brought my cpu to a computer shop, and after calling them in the

afternoon they said it was okay. so i brought the cpu back home and then again there's no display.so i called the computer

shop and they said maybe it's my monitor that's at fault.so i brought the monitor to the shop and then right there they

tested my monitor on their cpu and their it displayed! so brought my monitor back at home tested it and again no display.how

come when they tested my cpu w/out my monitor on their shop it displays, and when they tested my monitor w/out my cpu on

their shop it displayed? i'm confused!!!! i tried connecting my cpu and monitor to another outlet in my house and still the

same result no display. i tried borrowing my brother's monitor and still no display,borrowed his vidcard using my monitor and

then his vidcard w/ his monitor on my cpu but still no display.

another addition, i tried using another power supply cable and still no display.
we also tried plugging it to another outlet in my house and still no avail.and also my computer and monitor were never

together on the computer shop when it displayed.
meaning it's either my monitor + their cpu = working on their shop OR my cpu(with my vidcard) + their monitor = working on

their shop.

it won't boot,keypad doesn't respond either to caps-lock,numlock the keys that we can be sure of visual response due to LED.

another thing i noticed was that the HD's LED is on steady red light, i noticed this because when my computer was functioning

and displaying well, the HD LED red light was flickering.

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    did you try taking both the monitor and the pc into the shop at the same time?

1. are you using a power strip?
    2. are you positive that the keyboard and mouse are plugged in to the right jacks and are secure?
    3. do you have a printer?
    4. if you are using a power strip are all your items plugged into it?
    5. are you making sure that the monitor cable is very secure to the pc?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Try taking everything out of the case and setting it on something non-conductive. A piece of cardboard works well. Only connect the necessary items: power supply, motherboard, processor, memory, video card. Reset the CMOS. Connect your monitor to the video card, and short the two "Power SW" pins with a jumper, paperclip, screwdriver, or something conductive. See if it powers up. If you get a display, turn it off and connect your hard drive. See if it boots into Windows and displays properly.

Your motherboard may be shorting to the case. Reason I suggest this is that moving it each time may bump it just enough to relieve the short, then re-trigger it. I just dealt with this with my AXP system a month or so ago.
  • edited June 2005
    i was so frustrated of taking things to and fro that i barely have the spirit to bring both heavy monitor and computer to their shop. that was one of my question though,what would the result be if i brought both my computer and monitor together and plugged it in another place instead of at my house?

1. using a BACK UPS ES 500 during those normal days. when it stopped working i tried testing still on my BACK UPS ES 500,then my brother's AVR,then just plugging directly to my wall outlet.

2. keyboard is plugged securely, no keyboard LED lights-up even when CAPS,NUM are pressed.

3. normal day operations was computer's powercable from PSU to BACKUPS. monitor's powercable is direct to BACKUPS cos my PSU only has 1 don't know the right term(those either male w/ 3 metal or female w/ 3 holes).by the way PSU is Enermax EG365P-VE label on side says DC OUTPUT - Total Power = 350W

4. yes secure,i even turned the two bolts on both sides of the end of the monitor's cable that connects to the vidcard.
  • edited June 2005
    thanks for replying. i saw my computer run at their shop,just forgot to include that one. borrowed my bro's monitor and still no display.my monitor on his computer, no display.

so it's like:
    my computer+computer shop's monitor plugged in computer shop=working
    my monitor+computer shop's computer plugged in computer shop=working
    my computer+my monitor plugged in computer shop=dunno cos i haven't brought the computer and monitor to the shop together.and currently i'm tired,frustrated to have brought heavy things to and fro without success.:(

my computer+my monitor plugged here in my house=not working
    my computer+my bro's monitor plugged here in my house=not working
    my monitor+my bro's computer plugged here in my house=not working

confusing isn't it? :(
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    Sounds very bizarre. I think you have to take all your gear back to to the shop. Did they actually do anything to it in the shop when you first took it in?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    Is the monitor cable detachable? Do you have power to the monitor at all?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Did you try removing the hardware from the case like I suggested?
  • edited June 2005
    OK, if your CPU + monitor (not yours) works at another place but not at home (and your brother's too), then you may be sucking too much power.

Depending on the layout of your house/apt/abode, your computer may be sharing power with other devices in the room. If your brother's computer is on the same power "network" in your house, then there may not be enough power to supply everything.

Generally, rooms that are adjacent to each other share the same power "network", so the power may not be getting through. I know, it sounds weird, but I was reading about power distribution in a home in a LAN party book by ExtremeTech and that is one factor that may cause multiple computer systems to fail in a room.

In essence, it may not be your computers at all, it may be that not enough power is going through.

I know, "it was working fine before"...I said the same thing about my cable modem before it got crappy and Insight discovered that my cable signal was being split too many times, therefore making the cable modem's signal very weak. They had to install an amplifier to give my modem the proper signal.
  • edited June 2005
    Sorry to hear of your problem,

But i am glad someone is having exactly the same problem as me !!

I think my next resort is to take a hammer to mine lol

i have been trying to figure this problem out for months. If like me the problem somehow resolves itself on its own like mine did a couple of months ago, dont be fooled its come back to haunt me with revenge. i cannot think of anything more i can do, hardware diagnostics wise. The only thing i havent replaced is the cpu, but that seems a bit extreme to buy a new one just to test. I thought about the power thing too and so i upgraded my 350watt psu to a 450watt psu...To No Avail...again...!! i feel like i live in the computer shop where i got all the components from!!!

ill be watching this particular thread and add my experience with this problem should anybody be able to help us..

regards

Alex :shakehead