Asus K8N sound issue

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
As the title says...

Asus K8N Motherboard. Onboard sound is not functioning.

Fresh XP install withh all new components (freshly built computer).

No sound at any time. All cables connected properly. Speakers work on another system, other speakers on this system still don't work... so it's the port on the motherboard or the software.

Motherboard drivers are fully updated.

When trying to play most sounds: nothing.

When trying to play a sound thru Media Player: returns 'Sound device already in use by another program'

thoughts?

Comments

• maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited June 2005
    is the onboard sound enabled in the bios?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    There is no option in the BIOS to disable or enable the on-board sound.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited July 2005
    There is an option in the bios called "Audio CODEC Interface [Enable][Disable][Auto]"

I found it in the manual for your board. Is this enabled or set to auto or is it disabled? It was the only thing I could find.

Is there an unknown device in device manager? If not, the device is NOT enabled in the bios. If it does appear in the device manager as an unknown device, the drivers are not present or screwed up.

Flint
    edited July 2005
    That's a good point, Flint. I'll check that next. Thanks.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    What motherboard drivers are fully updated? The ones from the nVidia site or the ones from the Asus site?
    edited July 2005
    Wherever the online manual that came on the CD told me to check...
    edited July 2005
    Download the latest nVidia ForceWare drivers from nVidia.com - that's what I'm using for sound on mine, and if that doesn't work, it's time to tell him there's a PEBKAC error and he needs to take the PC in to you for service.
    edited July 2005
    Ya, trying to troubleshoot this issue over the phone got too complicated for the client. He brought the system to me this evening, and I looked at the drivers... Somehow between my assembly of the system (after which the sound was working) and the first time he turned it on, the sound drivers had been deleted.

I just reinstalled the drivers and it worked. It only took a minute to fix, so I didn't even bother charging him.

I knew it would be something silly... I just wish I'd told him to look at the drivers FIRST, but I tend to troubleshoot from the more complicated solutions first.

Example:

In this case, the first thing I did was walk him thru the BIOS menus. THEN I remembered to ask him which port he had plugged the speakers into... It's a habbit I need to break...
    edited July 2005
    Cool - it's good that you got him all straightened out. :thumbsup: