Upgrading Video card from Radeon 7000 to Radeon 9600, but new card will not post

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Ok first things first, heres my system specs:

PCU: AMD Athlon 1.33 ghz
Video: AGP 4x Radeon 7000, 64 mb (Trying to upgrade to a sappire AGP 8x Radeon 9600 Atlantis 256MB DDR)
Ram: 384 MB of RAM
MOBO: PCCHIPS M811lu mobo v3.1 (Supports up to 4x)
PSU: Rosewill RU400, 400w, 30a, 40a, and 18a on the 3.3+ 5+ and 12+

Edit: Wow sorry for posting my life story, this is really long

Iv'e lost my mind over this thing so heres the deal, I ordered the above mentioned new graphics card from newegg. Once it arrived I uninstalled my current drivers, uninstalld the old card in device manager, and installed the new card. I turn on my computer and it dosen't post, all fans are go, lights are blinking and hard drives are spining. So I'm thinking this is just great and at this point I'm really hoping the card didn't arrive fried. I call up a freind and tell him my situation, and he says I can come over tomarrow and slap the card into his machine to see if it works.

So after hanging up my phone I'm just kinda sitting there with a gut feeling the card isn't fried. So I decide to toy with it a bit to see if I missed somthing, which in hindsight dosen't seem the best idea. Well after a few hours in a groggy, sleep deprived state Iv'e tried different utilities to remove drivers, installing the drivers first (as both cards use the same drivers, which seems odd) ect. ect. and I'm about to call it a night when I say to myself, well lets just give it one more try. In safe mode I disable the old card, and without using ATI's own uninstaller from the control panel I use a utility I found on their site to remove the drivers, in addition to a seconed third party program. I then intall the new card and sure enough I turn on the power and almost miss the inital beep. So for a seconed I'm stunned and make sure I have the new card in there and not the old (I did). Well it boots up fine (at this point the panel on my case is off) and I'm thinking to myself, "HA! Take that you subborn chip of satan", and after booting into safe mode I turn off the computer to put on the case panel. When I turn it back on....no post, but not to be discouraged i repeat the exact same steps I did to get it working in the first place and it works again. I install the drivers and play games throughout the night.

After turning off my computer (DOH!) I throw my lifless body into bed and wake up the next morning to turn on my computer and find, much to my joy, that it yet again dosen't post. Now here's the problem, repeating the origional steps dosen't work or at least of what I REMEMBER doing (my memory is awfull, Iv'e gotten halfway to my car before realising, with grassblades tickling my feet, that I left my shoes in my freind's house.

I try and try again to get it working to no avail. After talking to some PCCHIPS guys (my mobo is a pcchips mobo) they tell me that they think it's my powersupply, as my model is notoriously power hungry and that in the middle of the night it was getting better amps, allowing me to run the card. So for some reson I blindly follow and upgrade my power supply 30a, 40a, and 18a on the 3.3+ 5+ and 12+. Much to my dismay it still dosen't post, and now they woun't get back to me.

Heres my theory, I don't know much about motherbords but looking through the manual for the mobo and I'll quote a feature it lists.

"AGP Driving Control (Auto)
This item is used to signal driving current on AGP cards to auto or manual. Some AGP cards need stronger current to operate. We recommend that you set this item to default. (which is auto) It goes on to say you can manualy set the driving value.

Do other mobos have this? Is it possible it's not feeding the new card enough current? If thats the case I still don't know what to set it too and I'm certainly not going to experement lol.

Also would I need to set the aperture size at all?

Again I know little of motherboards so thats what I'm thinking it is, but I'm prolly wrong.

I'm at a loss and am starting to get very impatient with this thing, I should have come to yall first, or at least talk to the ATI guys, help me? :)

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Waitta sec, lemme read this right.
    MOBO: PCCHIPS M811lu mobo v3.1 (Supports up to 4x)
    If your mobo can only handle up to 4x AGP and you're trying to put in an 8x AGP vid card, then there's your problem.

Second, I'm not too sure about the Rosewill brand, but that PSU may not be powerful enough. I had a 450W PSU with my X-blade case and it was a POS PSU. I swapped it out with a 380W Antec and haven't had a power problem since.

Third, you do have a PCCHIPS mobo.....

But it also looks like that you are able to get into Windows Safe Mode even with the new card. How is that possible if you can't get it to POST? You shouldn't even be able to, AFAIK, get that far if it fails POST.
  • edited June 2005
    It did post those times I booted up on safe mode, it even worked outside of safemode, but I can't get it to do that again.

I thought x8 cards would work, on a 4x mobo, but just at x4 instead of x8.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    It did post those times I booted up on safe mode, it even worked outside of safemode, but I can't get it to do that again.

I thought x8 cards would work, on a 4x mobo, but just at x4 instead of x8.
    You are correct, yes x8 cards will work fine as they are backwards compatible.

Check your BIOS and see if there anywhere that will allow you to force AGP x4 mode strictly. Could well be the motherboard BIOS not detecting the AGP correctly. Luck of the draw on boot it might other times... :)
  • edited June 2005
    It's set to 4x in the bios now, but I don't think thats strictly as you say.

What about the AGP Aperture Size, how does that work?

Edit: N/M i googled it :)

So I guess the last question is could it be the driving control?

I forgot to say I totally re-formated my computer and tried it then, still nothing. I should be able to take it to a freinds house soon.

Edit2: This may not be important but the time I got it working in the device manager it listed RADEON 9600 and RADEON 9600 (secondary)
  • edited June 2005
    Ok so I got it in a freinds computer and it worked without a hitch, didn't even have to uninstall the new drivers or anything.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I am thinking eihter psu or bios issues.
    The install should be fine. I have swapped ATI cards without uninstalling/reinstalling anything.
    You need to research bios settings further.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Its sounding like a PSU issue to me. Because if its a 4x/8x card, it should work fine, I would suggest investing in a good PSU, I'd recomend an antec, theyre reliable and not to hard on the wallet. dont skimp on the piece of equipment that acutally make your computer work.
  • edited June 2005
    How much would I need to run the card then, 40a on the 3.3?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I would just go with an antec 550 watt power supply, because you really dont wanna go bare minimums with power requirements, cause think about it, your car runs a whole lot easier with a big engine that can push it with ease rather than a small engine that has to put up a fight to get the car around. plus the 550 will give you room to add more stuff.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2005
    How much would I need to run the card then, 40a on the 3.3?

It's the 12v thats important. Get a PSU that has a minimum of 25A on the 12v Rail. (30+A is better).

Does your Video card use/need 4pin molex connector?
  • edited July 2005
    It just draws from the motherbord, dosen't that make it an expansion and thus run off the 3.3?