fan causing crash..bizarre but true

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Ok I recently (today) bought and installed a Artic Cooling Copper Silent fan
Rebooted system only to find it running hotter than with my cheap QTec fan (which is a pieceajunk) not only that it seemed to crash the whole rig.
After the crashes I would reeboot . When I say crash I mean no BSOD just click and everything DEAD :eek:
Reboot and it would run for a second or 2 and then click all dead :eek::eek:

So I removed the fan and reinstalled the old one and here we are posting this

1 has anyone else come across this
2 WTF is/could be causing it
3 WTF again, I am amazed that a fan could cause such chaos

Any ideas people thanks in advance :confused:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    Dumb question, but you did remove the protective film from the new HSF and apply thermal compound, right? Other than that, you might want to make sure it's seated properly and is on there the right way around.

I'm not trying to insult you're intelligence; these are common mistakes which nearly all of us have made at one time or another. :)
  • edited June 2005
    No they are valid questions, you gotta ask right? !!

But yes i did remove film, apply grease and mount the right way etc
  • edited June 2005
    From the symptoms you are stating here, it sounds like that new hsf isn't sitting flat on your processor and the overheat protection your mobo has built in is shutting everything down. Maybe the hsf is hanging up on a component on the mobo or on the socket and not letting that heatsink sit down flush on the proc. You might need to take the mobo out of the case and check this out, where you can closely examine the fit of the hsf to the processor.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Either that or your power supply is marginal and maxed out, and adding the new fan was the straw that broke the camel's back. (e.g. the new fan draws more power than the old).

Although I would lean towards a mounting problem first.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    Wow a fan drawing too much power. I dont really think so, esp since its supposed to be a silent fan.

So I am guessing this fan is quieter than the old one? Most likely it doesnt push as much air either. That might make it go up a few degrees. Most likely its not flush the CPU core like the others have said. Ive done it before and temps went up really quick since only a small corner of the CPU was touching the HS bottom.
  • edited June 2005
    Nah PSU is fine, 600W Tagen, no probs there, but as for not sitting flat, well I will remove the mobo manana and check it out ,sounds reasonable
    Will post a reply when I know
    Thanks folks :D
  • edited June 2005
    I installed Artic Cooling Freezer 4's on an MSI K8T Master2-FAR dual Opteron board recently and had the same problem. It turned out that the low speed fans on the Freezer 4's were below the threshold set in the bios for fan rpm's so the board wouldn't boot. The problem was solved by unplugging one of the Freezer 4's but leaving it mounted and then plugging the old heat sink fan in to allow booting to change the bios. Worked ok after that. Since you are getting it to boot this probably isn't the cause but just thought it might be worth checking.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I like nick's line of thought.
    I have switched fans for a slower one and run up against min. speed settings also.

What cpu/mobo are you using? I have seen some very un-flat cpus also. Check that while you have things apart.
  • edited June 2005
    Hmm will have a BIOS tweak, nice thought it hadn't occured to me :rolleyes:

However I shant be pulling the rig apart tonight, and its ok with the ol HSF but I will do it manana and check for flatness etc

Board is DFI infinity ultraB
    ATHALON XP 3000+

BTW any thoughts on a HSF I just found on the net made by Thermal Transtech International model no #TTIC-NPH-2

Will post results as and when... Thanks again folks
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    check to see if the pins on the fans molex are correct, could be shorting out your psu, i had that happen once.
  • edited July 2005
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']check to see if the pins on the fans molex are correct, could be shorting out your psu, i had that happen once.
    will do havent actually gotten around to reinstalling fan, will do tomorrow and check all above ideas

Thanks again folks