New Abit NF7-S2 No Display

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hello all, I just picked up a Abit NF7-S2 Mobo from newegg for 58$ for a cheap system I am buildingg out of spare parts.

I know all the other parts are good as I have used them in other systems.

The specs are as follows:
Kingwin 420 Watt PSU (new)
Athlon XP 2500 (Barton I think) (used, but verified good)
1x 512MB Mushkin PC3200 (new)
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO (used, unverified)

I also tried an old PCI Riva TNT2 card.

Once I got it all installed and powered it on, I get no video. I have tried 2 different video cards.

I know it is getting power because there are 2 LEDs on the board that light up, and all the fans and system lights turn on, as well as the keyboard LEDs.

I have tried clearing the CMOS several times, and removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes with the powercable unplugged from the PSU, but still no luck.

I pondered weather or not that RAM stick was bad, but even if it were I think I would get some kind of display out of it.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try? Or should I start the RMA process with Abit?

Does anyone have experience with Abits RMA process? How are they? What kind of turnaround can I expect?

Any help would of course be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!
:thumbsup:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    Do you have an old PCI Video Card you could try? It might at least narrow it down to being an AGP issue.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    I also tried an old PCI Riva TNT2 card.

Yup, no luck there... I am RMAing it back to abit :shakehead

What a pain in the ass... I have to take it all apart now, ship it to them, wait for it to come back, and reassemble the whole machine.

sux
    edited June 2005
    I missed that line about the Riva card... :rolleyes:

Sorry about your troubles. Been there myself, and it do indeed sux. :shakehead
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    abit's RMA is pretty fast and easy to deal with. they won't spend time messing with your original board, they will just send you out a new (or refurbished) mobo as soon as they recieve your old board.

i just went through their RMA process with an ic7-g. i sent out my board on the 10th, and recieved my replacement on the 16th. I sent out my original faulty board express mail so it got to them in 2 days which i think helped. Only thing i didn't care for is that i sent them my original ic7-g box as instructed, but they sent me back a new board in an old BE7-g box that was turned inside out. now all of the boxes/extras from my original won't fit in the BE7-g box. oh well...
    edited June 2005
    Thanks for the info on their RMA process... And I was wondering weather or not I should send the original box. Guess I better keep it.
  • edited June 2005
    im having the same problem... but with an brand new asus board i moved to asus from an AbIT NF7 because i thought it was that that caused the problem..

I have tested out all hardware inside of the system...apart from the chip which im not prepared to buy one if the problem isnt solved by it.

New psu
    New hdd
    New MB
    New RAM

im at the end of my teather with this problem.

When i last had the problem, i just kept reseating components and reseting teh CMOS memory and eventually out of the blue it seemed to resolve itself, however this time round i dont seem to be having the same luck... :confused:

any ideas folks?.... :scratch:
    edited July 2005
    Great. I got the replacement motherboard, and it does something flaky too. when I go to power the machine it powers on, but just keeps resetting. maybe 2x a second. :banghead:

To eliminate the possibility of my case power button being the problem, i tripped the power on switch jumper with a screwdriver to the same result.

Send it back? Gawd this is getting old. Maybe ill just get a Dell, but I really want my amd. :mean:
    edited July 2005
    Could your reset switch be stuck?

Try it outside the case with just CPU, RAM (one stick only) and Video Card. If that works, add the rest of your RAM. If you're still good, hook up a FDD and/or CDROM drive and immediately run memtest.

If you get that far, add in the other components one-by-one and cross your fingers. The last step is to try it inside the case again. (duh :p )

I saw where you mentioned that you have a brand new PSU, but it might not hurt to try a different one. You should also double-check that your CPU fan is on the right connector.

Good luck, man. RMA's are never any fun, especially when you're looking at the second time around... :(