New to programming...

I think it would been really cool to learn something about programming, I have no experience exept some HTML and playing...

So i wonder where to start, anyone know some good start up toutorals?

I really would want to avoid having to buy a book for alot of money, so a toutoral online would been the best thing.

Any other tips for a new beginner in programming would also be good ;D

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    Books really are a great resourse tho.

Well you might want to tell us what language you want to program in first. ;) I like C++, its quick and powerful. Its a fairly high level language and pretty easy to understand the code even if you do not know very much of the language.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I would reccommend c/c++/C# as well. I learned JAVA at my school, but it seems that everywhere I've worked has used c/c++. Also, most microcontrollers have c compilers, so if you want to get into things like that, c++ is definitely the way to go.
    edited June 2005
    If you go with C++, the MSDN website and cplusplus.com are great placed to look up error codes and look for help online.

In fact I looked at cplusplus.com and they have a little tutorial. (zip file)
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/#books

It just goes over the very basics. There is so much more to C++. I just finished my 3rd class at College using C++ and I know there is much more to C++ than I know.
  • edited June 2005
    Well, i was thinking of C++ mostly...
    But you are talking about 3years on college and still not knowing it all, is it really any point trying to get this on my own?
    Sounds like it's preaty pointless and that I wan't really be able to make anything usefull if I don't go learn C++ at a school or something :P
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I've had two classes in java, and I can write some pretty useful stuff. It depends on what you want to be able to do. I'm definitely no coding god or anything, but through my classes and own work, I wrote the backend for the SMxStats page, a nifty program for edcentric, a couple programs for automating repetitive things. (Among other, simple programs)
    edited June 2005
    Yeah I didnt say I couldnt do anything in C++. There is just more still out there, the more complicated stuff. I can control a small motor's RPMs, display a few lines on an LCD amoung other hardware related stuff with C++ programming. Thats 3 courses, I could complete that in one year if I took them back to back to back.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited June 2005
    I would also recommend starting with C or C++. However it really should depend on what you want to do with your programming knowledge.

If you want to start using linux, go with C
    If you want to get a good base knowledge of object oriented programming, go with C++

On the other hand, web languages are a reasonable choice as well. Even though learning something like PHP or ColdFusion isn't the "best" way to start your programming foundation, if you're still young, in school, and jobless (me when I started programming) then web development could be a fun and rewarding way to be creative and maybe make some cash on the side. When it comes down to real usefulness, I'd much rather be able to make a website for anything from a Counterstrike team to some idea of yours that turns out to be the next eBay than a C++ file parser or command-line game. There are useful and useless things you can do with both web languages and traditional compiled languages, but the way the internet just keeps growing and growing I'd get on the cutting edge of things if I were in your shoes.

Just my $0.02
  • edited June 2005
    One more opinion:

If you are just starting out take some time to learn something about web-design, something about object oriented programming, and something about structured languages. See what you like best.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    I started in VB then went to C then C++. I quickly learned that I am NOT a visual programmer and stuck with C mostly as it was far more straight forward to me.
  • HackLoveHackLove Ha Noi - Viet Nam
    edited July 2005
    I like C++,VS.NET its quick and powerful. Its a fairly high level language and pretty easy to understand the code even if you do not know very much of the language
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited July 2005
    If you want to go games, stay with C++ :) Don't bother about learning C as it's old and fairly difficult to understand in the first touch.

If you're planning about anything that is not related to gaming... C# is a great choice. For everything, it's clean and simple if you can understand the "object modeling" stuff.

To do game however, i would chose C++ because it gives more freedom about what you want to do and how you wanna do it... It makes performance gain at some points (if you're a good programmer :p ) :) For all the rest, C# with the framework will do a lot for you and can simplify most of the thing you want to do :thumbsup:

After some times (2 years) working with c# at my job... i can say that there's NOTHING ELSE that can produce good application in a short time like c# does. This is again LOT more true if you're planning on doing a complex web application, but i don't think it's your case :) My 0.02 :mullet:
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited July 2005
    I suggest that if you are going to learn C++ that you not learn C first because then you will have to unlearn some things.
  • edited July 2005
    undefinedvb :)
    I think it would been really cool to learn something about programming, I have no experience exept some HTML and playing...

So i wonder where to start, anyone know some good start up toutorals?

I really would want to avoid having to buy a book for alot of money, so a toutoral online would been the best thing.

Any other tips for a new beginner in programming would also be good ;D
    i am stronghawk and i am exactly like you why dont u teach what you got
  • edited July 2005
    hi stronghawk is here :)