nero "no seek error"?

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I just bought a new NEC 3540A DVD+-RW drive, and a 100 spindle of Ridata 8x DVD-R media off newegg. In nero, right around when the disc gets to around 90% I tend to get a "no seek error". Is there anything I can do about this? I'm not experienced enough with burning hardware to know...

I tried an update to a custom 1.01 firmware with the quiet feature of the drive disabled, didn't alter the problem at all

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Have you tried googling the phrase to see what turns up?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    yeah apparently it happens when you have driver install issues or something, and the general fix seems to be to system restore back to a previous state, but thats assuming it had been working for awhile. On nero's site it says either its A) bad media B) a bad burner C) bad drivers. I read many MANY positive reviews of these discs, and as far as I know this burner is in good shape
  • edited June 2005
    Well, you could always just try another DVD disc to burn. If that fails (and you've already tried new drivers), you may just have to RMA that burner.
    edited June 2005
    maybe, that'd totally suck though. I'm gonna try giving the drive its own IDE cable, with no slave... we'll see if that works

btw the error is burning failed, "no seek complete"
    edited June 2005
    I read some suggestions that say that you should try putting the drive by itself on an IDE channel, with no slave. tried that, no dice

tomorrow, I'm going to try
    A) different media
    B) an actual ribbon 80-pin ribbon cable instead of these 80-pin rounded IDEs (which have given me all sorts of trouble in the past...)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    My off-brand DVD Burner had trouble with one particular brand of blank CD's (every type of DVD blank I've used has been fine).

Hopefully that's all it is in your case. If so, maybe you could sell them to someone whose burner gets along with them better. :)
    edited June 2005
    well the thing is I specifically checked to see if there were common issues with this burner and these dvds, and nothing came up. hopefully when I try some different DVD-Rs, I'll find out that it really is just the DVDs and not the burner itself, I don't really want to have to RMA it...
    edited June 2005
    looks like I fixed my own problem

it seems that even though I had "DMA if available" selected for all of my drives, it wasn't working on one of my IDE channels. I attempted uninstalling that channel but upon a reboot, windows was unable to install the driver saying that the driver was for a different version of windows (huh?!). I then went to repair install, only to get a BSOD after it completed. at this point I gave up, formatted, and now everything is peachy