How to capture video?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2005
    and for captureing video you should just be capturing video to a place on your hard drive not using the dvd thing.
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited June 2005
    oh... how do I capture it just to the HD? Also this is the stock Firewire card in this OEM computer, so it didn't come with a manual. Will looking it up in System Device Profiles (or whatever it's called) work?
  • edited June 2005
    It should tell you what type of firewire card it is, and if you can get me that information I'll try to find out if it is compliant. I hate it when OEMs don't give you the manual to all your stuff that is the same with my computer. Thank god it wasn't the firewire card I bought for $40 bucks at compusa.
    edited June 2005
    Device Manager shows that my Firewire card is OHCI Compliant.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    It should tell you what type of firewire card it is...
    Look in Device Manager under IEEE 1394 Host Controllers. :)

EDIT: Sorry - I shouldn't try to post two messages at the same time... :rolleyes:

Does it say VIA, or something like that before the "OHCI..." stuff?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    Thanks, I'm using the Ulead trial now. I'll give the capture a try later and reply if it works or not.
    But did you try the setup page and video input in pinnacal?
  • edited July 2005
    Ohh man there is a serious problem here. It should be as easy as plug and play, hey wait a minute do you have plug and play enabled.

Goto Control panel then turn on you camcorder after you click on Scanners and Cameras and tell me if your camera appears in the Scanners and Cameras folder.
    edited July 2005
    Yes, it shows up. It says VIA before 'OHCI Compliant' in Device Manager. What do you mean the setup page in Pinnacle?
    edited July 2005
    I mean if you click setup, capture source, capture format. If you haven't got an image in the preview window you're not capturing.
    EDIT, When I had the wrong video input selected the counter in the preview window counted up even though it wasn't capturing anything. I think it's more a timer than a counter.
  • edited July 2005
    That is why I don't use low class programs like pinnacle I used to until I found out that it had limitations that would keep me from doing what I wanted to do with my video.

In vegas video if video is not comming from the camcorder then it will stop trying to capture and tell you nothing was captured, and it even stops when frames are dropped, see if there is a trial version of Sony Vegas Video 6, it has more support for more camcorders than pinnacle will ever have, why because it is a professional NLE.

I think your just having one of those crazy windows problems, that is really hard to find out. So lets go through the checklist.

Does WinXP detect the Camera?
    If so does the option to capture or play from the camcorder show up in the quick options?
    Does Pinnacle and Ulead Video Detect the camcorder?
    What type of OHCI compliance is the camcorder?
    Did your camcorder come with a Setup CD, if so how old is it?
    In the setup screens of the programs did you enable it to capture from ohci compliant device or IEEE 1394, or DV camcorder.
    Do you have Microsoft DV encoder/VCR for DV camcorders?
    Did you contact Pannasonic, and ask them why the camcorder may not be working?
    Did you contact Pinnacle and ask them why it may not be capturing?
    edited July 2005
    Here is the pic of what is happening in Pinnacle when I try to capture.

Does WinXP detect the Camera?
    Yes, it does.

If so does the option to capture or play from the camcorder show up in the quick options?
    The option to capture shows up.

Pinnacle detects "DV Camcorder" and Ulead detects "Panasonic DV Camcorder".

What type of OHCI compliance is the camcorder?
    Not sure, how do I find out?

Did your camcorder come with a Setup CD, if so how old is it?
    I just got the camera about a week ago and it didn't come with a setup CD.

In the setup screens of the programs did you enable it to capture from ohci compliant device or IEEE 1394, or DV camcorder.
    The only option was DV Camcorder.

Do you have Microsoft DV encoder/VCR for DV camcorders?
    Not sure, where do I get it?

Did you contact Pannasonic, and ask them why the camcorder may not be working?
    Not yet, but I will if I can't figure it out here.

Did you contact Pinnacle and ask them why it may not be capturing?
    No, it's not a Pinnacle-Specific problem, it won't capture in Windows Movie Maker or Ulead either.
    edited July 2005
    Have you checked for software updates from Pinnacle? If the camera is brand new it might be as simple a matter as getting an updated database file so it will properly detect your hardware and its capabilites,
  • edited July 2005
    That probably won't help since he said it was not a pinnacle related problem, I think it is the ohci compliance problem. To get the Microsoft DV plugin goto http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/wm7/encoder.aspx

and install everything you can get on the Microsoft DV subject, my programs didn't do anything until I had the program either, how old is your computer and did your windows xp come with service pack 1 or 2
  • edited July 2005
    and do you have windows media player 10
    edited July 2005
    I got the computer in January and it came with SP1. I updated to SP2. Yes, I have WMP 10
    edited July 2005
    Pinnacle detects "DV Camcorder"
    That might be a default option. It's in mine as well and I don't even own one. Can you try any other cables?
  • edited July 2005
    Did you plug your firewire cable in the camcorder with the camcorder off and then turn it on to see if that worked in windows movie maker, if it did it should say please connect DV device or something like that, and then when you turn it on it should show something, try turning it on to regular video record mode.
    edited July 2005
    ok, I'll try it when I get home in about a week.
    edited July 2005
    This is the closest I've gotten. I tried to capture with Ulead just a few minutes ago. Everything was being recognized, I set it to capture in AVI format to C:\Video\. When I hit 'Capture Video' it gave me an error that said "Cannot build capture graph". What does this mean?
    edited July 2005
    Sorry to bump but does anyone know a fix?
    edited July 2005
    I just tried it on my other computer and it's capturing right now! The only problem is that I have the DVD burner on that computer, the compliant hardware on that computer, and the editing software on this computer. Plus the other one is for office work and I don't want to tie it up while I edit a video. So that means I have to use like 4 disks per video.
    edited July 2005
    First, compare the settings and hardware on the two machines - you might be able to spot the problem now that you know what works (on at least one computer).

Second, if the computers are networked all you need is to do the capture, then copy it over to the other computer for editing and burning. :)
    edited July 2005
    Office:
    3.0GHz P4 processor
    512MB RAM
    200GB HD
    ATI Radeon graphics card

Main computer:
    2.1GHz Athlon processor
    512MB RAM
    160GB HD
    Nvidia GEForce-FX 5500 AGP Card

Im' not sure what else to look for.
    edited July 2005
    ...I'm not sure what else to look for.
    I was thinking more along the lines of settings within the capture software, along with the type of port you are attaching the camera to.
    edited July 2005
    I used Windows Media Player to capture the video on the other computer since I didn't have Pinnacle or Ulead installed on it. On this computer it would say "Unknown Error" in WMP. I hooked them both up to a Firewire port, with both cards being OHCI compilant.
    edited July 2005
    In that case I'd check the version of WMP and the settings and plugins it uses.
    edited July 2005
    Both computers have the newest version of WMP. The only plugins I have are on this computer and they are audio enhancement (mega bass, etc). What settings should I look for?
  • edited July 2005
    Install the codecs at the bottom of this page and then try it maybe this will work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=abde1e02-b529-469e-ae6a-7417fcde9e12&displaylang=en
    edited July 2005
    I already installed all the codecs. I've never installed codecs on the other computer though. It's strange.
  • edited July 2005
    That's weird and it works on the other computer right. Did you try to capture it from a regular camera through the camera's mpeg mode

I am talking about using a digital camera and using its weird useless movie mode to capture video through usb.