Turning on a power supply sans motherboard

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Does anyone know how to turn on a powersupply without being plugged into a motherboard? A link to a guide is just fine :)

Thanks.

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    on the atx power connector you can jumper the green wire and a black wire with a paper clip and it should start up. Id recommend having something attached to the psu however like a cdrom or some fans.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2005
    This is the pinout for a 24pin PSU but it applies to 20 pin PSUs as well. On the side with the latch, jump the 4th pin (green (Power-On)) with the adjacent 5th pin Black (Ground) I use a paper clip. You must attach a load to a 4pin molex conector like a fan, floppy drive etc
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Attach any ground (Black) to the green wire. The PSU will turn on; it doesn't need a load.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2005
    Thrax know his stuff and he may very well be correct that on current PSUs you dont need a Load... BUT What I've always read and remember is that you do need a load or the PSU can fry itself...... As it is connecting a fan or something gives a quick visual indicator that the PSU is on.

it's your equipment and your money.....
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Attach any ground (Black) to the green wire. The PSU will turn on; it doesn't need a load.

Not to turn on, but for a PSU to last its full life, a load is recommended (PSUs are not intended to reroute power to ground constantly in large amounts, which would have to happen with PSU whihc was on but under no load)-- also, a load tests the amperage out capacity of a power supply if sufficient load is applied. If under load it does not work but under no load it works, then there is something wrong with it. That is one reason the power supply testers user resistance to test, or a ballast of small size for a shorter test (ballasts pull amperage to get charged and chemically drain charge when not in active use, unlike batteries). My little $7.00 tester has a small ballast-- it is what PC Power and Cooling uses to fast test their power supplies and it is that brand of PSU tester. It has a small ballast enclosed in insulation, to allow for a short load.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Just connect a fan or 2 and you have all the load it needs.
    Todays modern psus don't actually need load to stay alive, most need it to be able to start. Most psus have some sort of current protection these days and what Straight_Man is referring to is the old AT psu's. Those literally blew if you started them without a load.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    yeah, I guess you guys beat me to it, I have an old PSU in my workshop for testing fans and other stuff. and just playing around with ;D