Building Computer for the neighbor.

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I have to build up a computer for my neighbor. I was planning on going with a 2800 Barton or 3000, and a NF7-S for the mobo/proc. It can be done for cheap and it should be powerful but I'm just so out of the loop right now that I don't know if there is anything else out there that might be better for a similar price point. Any ideas? Thanks.

edit// just had a thought, should I be looking to put together a PCI-X system for him? That will change everything basically.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Wkat guidelines do you have to work within. (budget, intended useage, should it be upgradeable later on and should it be quiet)

PS:
    be careful with the PCI-X (since I assume you meant PCI-e).
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    200 bucks tops. Just proc and mobo, he has everything else and is gonna live with his vid card for awhile (TI4600 128)
    edited June 2005
    Oh yeah, he has 1 GB of 3200 I already bought him to fix what we thought was a mem problem, turned out to be the mobo.
    edited June 2005
    To keep strictly in budget your plan is probably as good as anything. If he could see a little daylight in terms of something with a little more potential I could recomend these. But it does go over budget slightly.

EPoX EP-9NDA3J Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard $88.00

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice $146.00

Total = $236.99 (including shipping)
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    i would say something like this from the egg if staying with agp...

a64 2800+, retail = $120
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103485

epox nf3 250gb = $74
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123219

or for a pci-e compatible machine and semi-agp support...

msi nf4 w/ pci-e x 16 and agr slot = $78
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130493
    edited June 2005
    Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to discuss this with him. That will most definitely give him more longevity out of his system, although then he'd have a better one than me!!

Any real differences between socket 939 and 754?
    edited June 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to discuss this with him. That will most definitely give him more longevity out of his system, although then he'd have a better one than me!!

Any real differences between socket 939 and 754?
    939 has true 'Dual Channel" and the Venice cores that fit in them run cooler, much cooler. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    Ok, sounds good guys. I'll see if I can talk him into the 939, but we'll prolly stick with the Barton by the looks of things.
    edited June 2005
    Well, he went for the 939 and I am exceedingly jealous now!! Thanks for the help guys.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    Good move on going Socket 939. Socket 754's days are numbered; 939 is going to be around for a while, most likely including the new dual-core CPU's on the horizon. :thumbsup:
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited June 2005
    I'd go with a 939 board, but be careful. They usually don't support AGP video cards.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    man i feel so stupid with still having a 478 :p
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    yeah, i have a 754, but when I got it the 939's just came out and the nforce 4 just came out so they were mad expensive!! but Id like to get a 3400+ and a nforce 4 mobo, but im a little short on teh money!! :thumbsup:
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    i've decided now that for christmas, I'm asking for a socket 939 DFI motherboard and an Athlon 64 3200+. It should be a great upgrade!