Sigh - "best" hard drive data recovery program.

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Hardware
So my dad's HD got fubared. Of course, absolutely nothing is backed up. There are 4 or 5 partitions on it, configured as such {Primary - 1 partition [ Extended (3 or 4 partitions)] }

Windows recognizes only the primary partition as "RAW". I've found several programs that have no trouble recognizing the files on the primary (this is free. Actually copying them costs money) Nothing I've found properly recognizes the extended drives. The partitions are all either NTFS or FAT32.

Now I say I want the "best", because I know my dad doesn't really want to pay for the best data recovery. However, there are files that he really wants, and I'm sure he'd be willing to spend a decent amount of money on this.

Thanks.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    I used an application called 'GetDataBack' NTFS, and I think they have a fat32 version too. It helped with some bunked deathstars back in the day. It was quirky, but did the trick. If the drive/filesystem is too far gone, it won't do much. You could try the demo, and see if it can get anything..

You can check it out at http://www.runtime.org/ I don't think it was overly expensive. Work picked up the tab though, so I paid little mind :D
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    ygpm

Tex
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Tex-
    as do you, my good man.

lemonlime -
    I'll be sure to check that out.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    GetDataBack NTFS. It's saved my ass, and the asses of others, many times.