edited January 2006 in Hardware
I have recently build a pc with the following parts:
MSI K8 Neo 2 with nforce 3 chipset
AMD 64 3000+
2 512Mb DDR400 ram
ATI Raden 9250 graphics card
2 120GB Maxtor SATA disks for mirroring
Samsung DVD-RW drive

I need to create a RAID 1 configuration with the two SATA disks. First thing I did was to enable RAID in the BIOS section. I have enabled RAID only on SATA 1 and SATA 2 where I have connect the two disks. Then I 've build the mirror using the nvidia utility (pressing F10 on startup).

Next, I have inserted the Windows XP professional CD to start the setup and pressed the F6 to install the SATA drivers from the supplied diskette. NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER, required and NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller, required. I've installed both drivers in order of appearence. After pressing enterto continue setup and after about a minute (just before you get the first windows setup screen I 've got a blue screen of death stop message "Inaccesible_boot_device."

I've used Windows XP with SP2 and the latest drivers from nvidia for the nforce 3 chipset but still no good. If I disable the Raid controller I can install Windows without a problem.

I have send the motherboard to the service department (where I've bought it) and they returned it to me telling me that they have found no problems and that they have managed to install windows XP with mirroring enabled! :confused:

I don't trust these guys because I have tried exactly what they have done and using THEIR drivers and I ve got the same error again and again :mad:

I don't believe it is a hardware problem since I have tried different PC parts and got exactly the same stop message!

Somewhere in the forums I found a thread about slipstreaming windows XP and changing the txtsetup.oem file of the driver diskette. I followed these instructions even if it was for the nforce 4 chipset but all I 've got was BSOD!

I would appreciate any ideas how to install windows with mirror enabled on nforce 3 chipset. I am trying this for 3 weeks now! :shakehead : Please help

Comments

• edited July 2005
    I have the same motherboard and when I 1st bought it, I couldn't get much to work right on the SATA 1 & 2, but all works fine on the SATA 3 & 4. And make sure you update to the latest BIOS for that board also. I think MSI messed up when they released it and made the SATA 1 & 2 (actually 3 & 4 in the BIOS). Like for myself I disable whatever I don't use. So I do RAID-0 on SATA 3 & 4, disable SATA 1 & 2, serial, parallel ports, and sound (since I use a soundblaster audigy for gaming) Any onboard Realtek is crap if you want surround sound. I've even tried doing RAID-1 w/ WIN XP SP1 & 2. Both RAID setups works fine, just never seems to run right on the SATA 1 & 2. I also have a ASUS K8N-E Deluxe which is pretty much same as the MSI K8N Neo Platinum but w/ 2 NVIDIA SATA and 4 Silicon Image SATA. Same deal there didn't work right on SATA 1 & 2, had to goto Silicon Image SATA to get working right.
    Worked ok on the NVIDIA but the data read/write seemed awefully slow! Not to knock NVIDIA but I think depends who the board maker is, and they all seem to have a few kinks in them. But I love MSI & ASUS !!!

Need any more help lemme know.
  • edited July 2005
    So, you suggest to connect the two SATA drives to SATA 3 & 4 and disable SATA 1 & 2 from BIOS? I did that and it didn't work either! :shakehead In the initial Windows XP setup after loading the two required drivers from the diskette the system hangs. Not even a BSOD :scratch:

Is it also possible not to reinstall Windows XP after you rebuilt the array but don't clear the disk? I suppose that data duplication will start immediately after windows starts? Or should I start a fresh installation formatting the array?
  • edited July 2005
    Before installing the OS adjust your BIOS settings for SATA. Two areas need adjusting One is listed under the IDE setup the other RAID setup.

During the boot phase, enter the RAID setup and add the drives. Then install the OS using the NVIDIA RAID controller diskette.

If you need the latest drivers disk for the NVIDIA RAID to use during installation I can send them to you. Or you can contact MSI by phone. The set I am now using was not listed on either MSI or NVIDIA’s websites.

I have problems with my RAID un-mirroring, I have moved the drives from SATA 1&2 to 3&4 Upgraded to the latest BIOS V1.5 and am now using a Bata V1.95.

I have Three Samsung SP1614C drives. I purchased the spare in order to verify one of the drives was not at fault. All are good.
  • edited July 2005
    I have send the motherboard again for service along with the two Maxtor 120 GB SATA drives. Again they claimed that they managed to make a succesfull Windows XP setup with mirroring! I don't trust them :mad: and I am 100% sure that when I will put back the motherboard I will have the same problems!

Can you send me the driver please in my email although I have downloaded and used the latest from nVidia and MSI. You can send the drivers to achboul@yahoo.gr.

Thanks for answering
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks for the drivers.
    I have already upgrade the BIOS to V1.8 and used your drivers. Again, I still get the same Blue Screen with the 000007B stop message (Inaccesible_boot_device).
    One strange think also was that some times with Mirroring enabled and setup through the nvidia utility (F10 on system startup) the Windows setup continues but when you are prompted to create partition I see 2 hard drives with id 0 and id 2! Even if I create a partion on the first drive and the text setup completes copying all files the system does not reboot from the hard disk! Also, I have set the mirror array as Boot and tried both Serial Ata 1 and 2 and Serial ATA 3 and 4. :scratch:
  • edited July 2005
    It is not necessary to create the NVIDIA RAID prior to installing Windows. You should however activate the RAID setup in the BIOS.

During installation, and drivers have been loaded, you should only see one drive.

Create a partition for the OS to be installed on.

I use a 15GB partition for the System OS. Rather large but this provides breathing room for the OS and future expansion.

If the above information does not help, send me a phone number and I give you a call.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    hmmm, I thought you only set-up the raid after your os was installed anyway, with my mb anyway, cause it has the raid utilities in the controll panel.
  • edited July 2005
    Now, I have another problem. Besides the BSOD sometimes the system freezes in "Starting Windows". This, after loading the drivers from the diskette! I can't find another solution to this and my dealer don't want to repair it because he claims that they had succesfully installed Windows with mirroring enabled. Called them and asked the technician how he installed windows and told me the same way I did! But he succesfully installed windows XP with mirroring enabled! Would you believe them that they did something? Or maybe he left the motherboard on the desk and then answered that he installed windows! I don't :mad:
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Other people have reported the same issue as you with installing to a RAID-1.

Easy fix is install to a single disk and after XP is up and stable go into the NVRaid utility and setup the mirror. Takes a while to complete the mirror, but runs fine after.

I have the same board and had the issue with both RAID1 and RAID10. Both worked fine with creating the mirror after the install. Just make sure you copy the drives the right direction.
  • edited July 2005
    Until you are successful and have all your applications installed, set the BIOS for Fail-Safe/Optimized Defaults, and leave the Memory adjustments set to Auto for now.

Do not forget to check the RAID adjustments in the BIOS after resetting to Fail-Safe. Check the Boot Device setting in the BIOS to make sure it is set to the RAID.

Check that the NB fan is operating normally 5100+ RPM. Check the CPU Temp. My CPU operates as low as 29°C the system temp is 30°C. I am using a Big Typhoon cooler 900~1380 RPM, and not overclocked.
  • edited July 2005
    Missileman wrote:
    Other people have reported the same issue as you with installing to a RAID-1.

Easy fix is install to a single disk and after XP is up and stable go into the NVRaid utility and setup the mirror. Takes a while to complete the mirror, but runs fine after.

I have the same board and had the issue with both RAID1 and RAID10. Both worked fine with creating the mirror after the install. Just make sure you copy the drives the right direction.

I think I did that and when I used the nVRaid utility (F10 on startup) after installed XP on a single drive but my system never booted after I created the mirror. Of course I didn't clear the disks :confused:
  • edited July 2005
    It is easy to forget the steps after so many attempts.

At this point, I would first low level both drives individually before attempting to install my OS. Adjust the BIOS to recognize the SATA drives. At this time do not activate the BIOS setting for RAID.

Here is a link to Maxtor’s step-by-step SATA installation.

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=2111&p_created=1091556967

If you did not receive the MAX Blast disk with your drives, download the utility from Maxtor’s web site and prepare each disk up one at a time. Here is the link.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=19

In you previous posts, you stated your suppliers support department had installed and verified your motherboard setting up a RAID. Did they use your drives? Did you check the BIOS settings after you received the motherboard back?

I recently separated the drives in my machine in order to provide better cooling. They have been stable ever since.
  • edited August 2005
    At last I found the problem :eek: It was the DVD-RW drive. The Samsung DVD-RW TSST TS-H552U! As soon as I 've replaced it with a simple DVD-Rom it worked instantly! :eek:

Another problem, if I can say its a problem, is that I can see both hard drives as USB removable devices! I can see the mirror as a single drive through the Disk Management utility. I can't remove them of course but this is completely crazy! :eek:
  • edited August 2005
    Did you look at the Device Manager? Your HD's shoud be displayed there as a Mirror if they are Mirrored. Of course, USB drives will also be listed as well.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Seeing the hard drives in the safely remove check box is normal with an Nforce RAID board. Has to do with the 2 drivers being used. All SATA drived show up there. Minor issue reakky, Always been that way on Nforce 3 and Nforce 4 boards anyway. Don't remember it on my Nforce 2 though.
  • edited August 2005
    HiTechDog wrote:
    Did you look at the Device Manager? Your HD's shoud be displayed there as a Mirror if they are Mirrored. Of course, USB drives will also be listed as well.

I can see the drives as a single drive in device manager also. It displays as "Nvidia Mirror 114.49G". I don't have any USB drives. Anyway, If I doubleclick the USB on the tray I can see both drives and there is an option to remove!!! :D Of course it doesn't work! But if this is normal with nforce3 chipset I'll pass it. Thanks for answering.
  • edited January 2006
    I have a similar setup as leas,
    (MSI K8 Neo 2 with nforce 3 chipset
    AMD 64 3200+
    2 512Mb DDR400 ram
    MSI GeForce 4 videocard
    120GB Maxtor HD
    80GB Western Digital HD) and a similar problem.
    I am not mirroring or using SATA, but I too get the BSoD saying there is a possible virus, or the HDs or HD controllers are not installed properly. My Master Drive has Xp installed already, I virus scanned it before I installed the new MoBo/CPU. (I Had a ASUS A7N8X-E with a Socket A AMD 2600+...not my choices, they came with it from a friend who was moving) and it worked fine up until I installed the new combo. BIOS is reading my Drives properly and I double checked all the IDE cables and master/slave jumpers...4 times!! I am thinking it may be drivers for the MoBo for XP, But I can't get them to install on startup. I have a second Tower here, so should I hook up the Drive with XP and install the drivers that way, then try again or what?
    PLEAAASSSEE Help! :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    I'd run the diagnostic test from the Hard Drive manufacturer for starters. :)
  • edited January 2006
    Hmm... I don't have the disk for the drive, and how could I access it outside Windows (since Windows is SNAFU)? I have only built 2 towers, and had no problems like this, so I am totally lost. I can snoop more in BIOS and look for a diagnostics test there (though I probably won't find one, as far as I know). I am going to swap back to the old MoBo/CPU and if that goes well, I am going to install the drivers I DL'ed from the MSI site, then try swapping back to the new combo. Thanks Prof :)
    DK
    edited January 2006
    Get the Western Digital test which runs off a boot disk. The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (either floppy or CD version) is the one you want. :)
  • edited January 2006
    So I threw the old combo back in and my comp booted up just fine. While its working I installed the drivers for the new board onto the Master HD (with Windows still on it), I also took the liberty or running another virus scan on the HD (so far..no virus:D) I ALSO DL'ed the Diagnostic program and when the scan is done, its getting burned onto a CD (thank God for Alcohol 120 and UltraISO!!:D), then I am going to re-start and run the new progy from the CD ... after that, if all goes well, I am going to re-install the new combo and cross my fingers. Thanks for the suggestions so far, anything else I should do?
    edited January 2006
    I may have missed this before, but are you just replacing the MB and then hooking up the HD with your old Windows installation?
  • edited January 2006
    yep. But the new MoBo has a new CPU with it..but yeah:D
    Also, I forgot to mention this before, but when I click either the shut off, or restart I have to do it twice, the first time doesn't do anything, so I have to go in and click it again...just figured I would bring it up.
    edited January 2006
    My advice would be to boot up in Safe Mode and uninstall everything in Device Manager, then immediately boot to your WinXP CD and do a Repair Install. Just over a year ago I did the exact MB/CPU transplant (along with a new video card) you're attempting now and it will be much better in the long run if you let Windows start from scratch.

By the way, don't fool around with that Recovery Console repair business. What I'm referring to is booting from the XP CD and proceeding as if you were doing a clean install. At some point Windows will detect the previous installation and offer you several options. Pick the one that will repair the current installation - NOT adding a second copy, etc.

Pre-WinXP it was almost always a waste of time to try and patch up a Windows installation after a major hardware change. WinXP does a great job of it, but you need to give it a clean slate hardware-wise for it to really get things right.

And, if you were wondering, a Repair Install will leave all of your data intact (you do have backups, though - right?) and all of your existing programs should still work.
  • edited January 2006
    Cool. Thanks!:D I just re stuffed the new combo, and I am getting the BSoD again with the same errors as before, even with the Drivers installed I downloaded. I am going to just do the repair windows thing like you say after I remove everything in DM from safe mode.

UPDATE:)
    So, I coudn't get windows to boot up in safe mode, but I COULD do the repair...I didn't do the console restore like you said not to, just let windows do its thing, then ask me if I wanted to repair after it detected the OS already installed. It did its thing, then asked for the chipset drivers, I installed those and it worked! Prof, you are a godsend! It feels like it is running a little slower than it used to for some reason though. The new combo is an upgrade, so I thought it would run a little faster...I went from an AMD 2600+ to an AMD 64 3200+... added and extra 256 MB of RAM too... I am going to go in and Wipe my C Drive, throw a partitian in it and reinstall windows from scratch, since I know it works;)
    Again, Thanks a million!