How many units can I run with this setup?

DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
edited June 2005 in Folding@Home
My computer at work is an HP xw8000 workstation with TWO of these processors: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3056 Mhz.

How many WU's can I run at the same time? Or should I ask, what would be the most productive number of WU's to run at the same time?

Thanks!

Geoff

Comments

• JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    i believe you want to run two instances of FAH, one for each CPU. theres a guide on the front page to teach you how to set it up.

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=293

i hope thats what you're asking.. -_-
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited June 2005
    Yes, that's what I was asking. I wasn't sure since these processors have hyperthreading technology and I was under the assumption that I could run two WU's on a hyperthreaded processor. And, if that were the case, I was assuming that I could run four at one time on my workstation. :)
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    to find out if you have hyperthreading i guess you could download cpuid and find out.. but if you DO have hyperthreading then yes, its time for 4 FAhs ;p
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    If you do run 4 units on this machine, only set up 2 to run large units. (if you have enough ram) and 2 reg or timeless units. The reason if you enable large units you will get the QMD cores, and they are memory intensive. The Intels don't have enough bandwidth to run 3 or 4 of these monsters.

I have 1 dual xeon, and if I try to run 3 QMD's the frame times drop drastically.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2005
    teh XW8000 is a dual xeon workstation. made by HP

my work is making me get HP certified
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    press ctrl-alt-del, bring up the task manager. run a number of instances equal to the number of graphs under cpu usage information
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Armo wrote:
    teh XW8000 is a dual xeon workstation. made by HP

my work is making me get HP certified

I'm not HP certified, and I figured most of that out from the first post ;);D
    Some xeons have HT - like theBaron said, the easiest way to check that is to look at the task manager.
    edited June 2005
    Donut wrote:
    If you do run 4 units on this machine, only set up 2 to run large units. (if you have enough ram) and 2 reg or timeless units. The reason if you enable large units you will get the QMD cores, and they are memory intensive. The Intels don't have enough bandwidth to run 3 or 4 of these monsters.

I have 1 dual xeon, and if I try to run 3 QMD's the frame times drop drastically.

Thanks for the tip!
    edited June 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    press ctrl-alt-del, bring up the task manager. run a number of instances equal to the number of graphs under cpu usage information

Oh!!! I wondered why there was 4 windows!! That explains it. I guess I'll be folding 2 big WU's and 2 timeless WU's. I have a few co-workers that I'm going to set up to do the same. :)
    edited June 2005
    Oh!!! I wondered why there was 4 windows!! That explains it. I guess I'll be folding 2 big WU's and 2 timeless WU's. I have a few co-workers that I'm going to set up to do the same. :)

Hmmmm...... I was wrong. The task manager only shows two windows. But, cpuid is telling me that I have hyperthreading.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    Hmmmm...... I was wrong. The task manager only shows two windows. But, cpuid is telling me that I have hyperthreading.

Sounds like hyperthreading is not enabled in your BIOS.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Sounds like you have one processor with Hyperthreading....
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    More than likely there are 2 CPUs with HT disabled.
    edited June 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    More than likely there are 2 CPUs with HT disabled.

I'm guessing that's probably the case. I'll just run two large files per machine. :)
    edited June 2005
    What does CPUID say?
    edited June 2005
    CPUID shows the hyperthreading box checked for both processors.
    edited June 2005
    That means its available but it looks like its not turned on.
    edited June 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    That means its available but it looks like its not turned on.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm not going to get in to changing stuff on my work computer's BIOS so I'll just stick with the two WU's at a time. Thanks all for the help. :)

Geoff