wont boot to windows...

edited July 2005 in Hardware
My friend has was trying to install a new video card on his emachines computer the ither day and now all he can access is the bios. Whenever the computer boots up it go black after the bios boots up. When we plug the monitor into the onboard graphics the monitor gets nothing and when we plug it into the card the monitor show that it is getting a feed ( a green instead of amber light) but nothing else. Occasionally there will be white vertical lines spaced across the bottom of the screen. The leds on the fromnt also show that the cpu is constantly running. His comp is a emachines T1115, Win XP, 256 RAM, he tried to install a Nvidia MX 5000 an i missing anything? Any ideas? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    There could be a lot of things that didnt go right, something I can tell you that happend to me is that I didnt disable the onboard graphics and the computer didnt like that, even though in most computers this should not be a problem. Before I can help you to much I need to know if the card is AGP 2/4/8x or PCI, by the sound of the card im assuming that it is AGP 2x/4x, and what your motherboard suports, if its fairly new its probably AGP 4x/8x, if its old it may be 2x or 2x/4x.

If the card is a 2x card and your board only support 4x/8x cards then you have a problem, its most likely not gonna work. but before you try to get the card working, retrace your steps to what you did to get where you are now. You need to get your onboard video working first, then you can figure out why the card isnt working. If you made any changes in the bios, undo the and set them to the way they are, pull the video card out. and try resetting the bios. The way to do this is to either pull the bios battery and wait 5 or 10 minutes or pull it and there should be a jumper near by, set the jumper for a few seconds and then put it back in the default position. Then reinsert the battery and try to restart you computer. If it works, then you are one step closer to fixing it.

When you said it goes black after the bios, do you mean the very first post where it checks Proc, Mem, Ide, etc, or right when it goes to the windows start-up. depending when it goes blank you could narrow it down to where the problem is.

Post back, and welcome to short media, hope you stick around. :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2005
    Thanks. It is actually a PCI card. Silly emachines and there celerons.. Anyway it starts up fine until the part when it goes to the Windows loading screen. Its odd, yesterday the comp was starting up fine we just couldnt get it to recognize the video card. It would show the card in the devices screen in the system tab but nowhere else. In the bios I could only switch the graphics between PCI and AGP and it was already set to PCI but when we plugged the monitor into the card we got nothing. Drivers and such were installed. If the fact that it is a PCI changes a bunch let me know otherwise ill try retracing everything when i get home and go from there. Talk to you in a bit and thanks again.
  • edited June 2005
    Ok ive now removed the new graphics card and plugged the monitor into the old slot. The bios is still accessible but windows wont start up. I can adjust the video from PCI to AGP and adjust the amount of memory but thats it and it seems to make no difference. And once again after the main boot up screens flash, there is a cursor flashing in the upper left then it constantly displays a series of vertical lines about half inch tall across the bottom of the screen. Let me know whatcha think.

Ok new news, finally rebooted a last time and it said that it was missing a critical windows system32 file... So looks like some reformating is going to have to take place..
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    Before you reformat, try this:

1) See if you can boot into Safe Mode. (You get there by tapping F8 before Windows starts.)

2) If all else fails, do a repair install - that way you'll still have all your data and programs intact. If you need advice on doing that, just holler. :)
    edited June 2005
    Like I said, try resetting the bios after you jerk the card. I didnt think about starting up in safe mode :banghead:
    edited June 2005
    if you get in safemode uninstall all the drivers/software to your new card. and see if it helps.
  • edited June 2005
    Nope I wasnt able to enter safe mode from the beginning of the problem. Well another budy of mine is helping us out with the reformatting so I think I will be alright. Thanks so much for the help! Ill let you know if i have any further problems.
    edited July 2005
    alright, yeme know and ill try