Help, can't burn CD's!

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hello, I'm pretty horrible with computers and I need some help.. I suddenly can't burn CD's. When I click burn on Windows Media player (After converting) it freezes up and says.. 'C00D11AB: Cannot burn files to CD' It worked a couple of weeks ago. I used the same 'Imitation 700mb' disks.. Please help?
:(

Thanks,
- Kristy

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    From Microsoft's Error Messages in Windows Media Player page:
    Why do I get error C00D11AB when I try to burn CDs?

This issue usually occurs because there is either a problem with the CD, or not enough computer resources are available to start or complete the burn operation.

To verify that the disc is not causing the problem, make sure that it's not dirty or damaged. You might also try using a different brand of disc.

To free up computer resources for burning, first make sure that other software programs are not running, and then select a slower burn speed for your CD burner, by doing the following:
    In Windows Media Player, on the Tools menu, click Options.
    On the Devices tab, click the CD burner in the Devices list, and then click the Properties button.
    In the CD burner Properties dialog box, on the Recording tab, select a lower burn speed in the write-speed list.

If none of these solutions resolve the error, see article 306319, "How to Troubleshoot Audio CD Creation in Windows Media Player for Windows XP," in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. The troubleshooting steps described in this article also apply to later versions of the Player, such as Windows Media Player 9 Series or Windows Media Player 10.
    Since you're using the same discs that worked before that is not likely to be the problem. Have you tried burning at a slower speed? As a test, you might try burning a disc at the lowest speed allowed and see if that makes a difference.

As for computer resources, how much ram do you have? Any other specs on your computer might be helpful as well. You could try right-clicking on the taskbar, then left-click "Task Manager" and see what things look like under the "Performance" tab.

One other thing I like to try when I encounter CD burning problems is to make a new folder and copy the data I'm trying to burn to it, then burn it from there. If your hard drive is getting a little flaky and is developing bad sectors in the area containing the data you're trying to burn, your problem could be as simple as the program having difficulty reading the files to burn them to the disc.

Good Luck! :)
  • edited June 2005
    Um, heres the info (Cruddy comp).. I still can't get the problem resolved..

eMachines T2260
    AMD Athlon[tm] XP 2200+
    1.79GHz, 224 MB of Ram

I tried making the speed lower, same results...
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Try and right click while on the taskbar at the bottom. Unclick hide inactive at the bottom. One by one right click on all the crap now showing on the bottom right taskbar and click exit or close to shut down as many as humanly possible and try again.

Tex
  • edited August 2005
    Kristy wrote:
    Hello, I'm pretty horrible with computers and I need some help.. I suddenly can't burn CD's. When I click burn on Windows Media player (After converting) it freezes up and says.. 'C00D11AB: Cannot burn files to CD' It worked a couple of weeks ago. I used the same 'Imitation 700mb' disks.. Please help?
    :(

Thanks,
    - Kristy

Hello Kristy:
    I had the same error, and it came out of nowhere as well. One day I could burn, the next I couldn't. I followed all the steps advised here and searched dozens of others, then I stumbled across an answer. Accidentally, I learned that if I launched my Nero Burning program, then I could record using Windows Media Player (I have XP).
    I wrote to Nero to find out more, and here is what they said (below). From what I can tell, you can get the Nero plugin for free and it resolves the issue. Please let me know if this works out for you.

Dear valued customer,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

The Nero Fast Burn Plugin enables you to burn Audio CDs directly from Windows Media Player.
    You can download the Plugin from:

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/NeroWMPPlugin.exe

Please note that this Plugin only supports with Nero Media Player (I think they mean Windows MP) by now. It won't work with Windows Media Player 10.

We do not provide support for the Nero Fast Burn Plugin as it is a free product.

Should you wish more information, do not hesitate to contact us.