which way to go

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited June 2005 in Hardware
My file server is starting to have issues with the workload im giving it. Right now its a amd 1600+, 512mb ram, 2000 server, 2x 250GB in raid 0 on a adpatec card ,
another 250 on main ide port, also 6gb hard drive for OS, running on a older asus board but its giving me issues so I have one laying around i can swap it with. I was thinking of going to new mobo, cpu, little more ram. Oh also i wanna move to 2003 too. I saw intel released a new 64 bit celeron d. I read some cool stuf on the matrix raid that intel motherboards can do, so i was looking at this option. I was thinking of getting a asus board with a 945p chipset cause a 955 board is a little pricey, 2.66GHz celeron d, 1GB DD2 corsair valueram. Also with a little more saving purchasing 4 hitachi 250GB sataII drives and setup the intel matrix raid. Also that way I can just chage the cpu if I want a upgrade. Or should I stay amd and get a amd64 3000+ venice core with an dfi ultra d board and just get some more ram? Only reason i was thinking celeron was cheaper and matrix raid. What are yourguys thoughts?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I need a stick to beat the intel out of you!! ;D The celeron is no bargain. but anway I would go for the athalon 64 3000+, I have a 2800+ and that thing overclock easily, and it has taken anything Ive dished it and is always askin for more, but you will need a good amount of ram, you can get a gig of OCZ ram for $100, Itd help if you could give a budget and all the stuff that your wanting/needs to be replaced. and the celeron barely has any cache on it which is what give your processor better performance. The L2 cache on an Athalon is 512k and 256k on a celeron and the L1 cache is 64+64 on the athalon and only 12+16k on the celeron,....here i am rambling, but id go with amd, thats all that I will use in my sytems.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited June 2005
    yes i know i was lookign at the evil side. I am a big believer of amd but the celeron i could upgrade to dual core when they come down, also matrix raid which is only on intel. But for just a file server a celeron wouldnt cut it? I mean i prob would be looking at a $100 dollar diff.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    if price is a big deal you could get a 2800+ for $115 which is around $35 more, but it will outperform and outlast that celeron....speaking of devil (intel) there is a computer store in enid that only sells AMD :rockon: and the owner looks like one of those 40 year old dudes that still lives with their mom, so we thought it'd be funny to act a little "misinformed" and start asking some questions, so we started asking him stuff like "isnt intel better than amd, i know it is" "do you sell a pentium 4 extreme edition" and some other stuff, and this dude was tweaking, he was almost about ready to ring our necks. ;D;D ...all in good fun, but then one of my friends needed a new power supply but didnt wanna get it of the internet, and he has no idea what the propername to anything is, so he goes in their asking for a powerbox and the guy is like ":wtf:" i spoke up and he managed to get it...wow did i just go off topic...but yeah what ever fits in your budget is what id get.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    if price is a big deal you could get a 2800+ for $115 which is around $35 more, but it will outperform and outlast that celeron....speaking of devil (intel) there is a computer store in enid that only sells AMD :rockon: and the owner looks like one of those 40 year old dudes that still lives with their mom, so we thought it'd be funny to act a little "misinformed" and start asking some questions, so we started asking him stuff like "isnt intel better than amd, i know it is" "do you sell a pentium 4 extreme edition" and some other stuff, and this dude was tweaking, he was almost about ready to ring our necks. ;D;D ...all in good fun, but then one of my friends needed a new power supply but didnt wanna get it of the internet, and he has no idea what the propername to anything is, so he goes in their asking for a powerbox and the guy is like ":wtf:" i spoke up and he managed to get it...wow did i just go off topic...but yeah what ever fits in your budget is what id get.
    funny story :D