What gpu and cpu water blocks to buy?

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I need people's opinions on what water blocks to buy for a socket 939 San DIego 3700+ and a 6800 gt either eVGA or leadtek. Not sure if that matters but w/e

i found this one is it any good looks pretty fricken tite
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-160.html

but its a bit expensive
any ideas are welcome

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    right now im using a swiftech mcw6000 on my 939 3200 venice, its at 2.7 1.65v at around 40 load, and my 6800gt i have a mcw50. youll need to buy 6800 mounting hardware. then i just put some ocz ramsinks on there. and i have that oced to almost 6800EE speeds at 48* load. Thats just what i have myself, a lot of ppl use the dangerden 6800 block and get good results. other cpu options dangerden makes some nice cpu blocks as well, ive personaly used the dtekcustoms whitewater in my old athlon system and it worked very well. just a couple places to look around.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The above post is very correct. Do not spend any kind of money on Innovatek. It's the Lego of watercooling gear.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I have the whitewater as well ...although cathar is now making the storm available to swiftech http://www.swiftnets.com/products/storm.asp. you can't go wrong with swiftech in general dude and cathar is the master of hi performance waterblock's. :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    I've used exclusively danger den in my rigs. I'm on my second TDX, and it is a fantastic block. It does not require high pressure to perform, and there are several accelerator nozzels availiable to take advantage of high/low pressure pumps. I have a DD Maze 4 for my GPU. It worked absolute wonders on my 9800 pro, and the card got barely luke warm. These blocks are reasonably priced if you shop around, but they are tried, tested and true. I believe dangerden makes a 6800 maze-4 'acetal' version. It should do really well. Just about any block on these modern cards makes a huge difference. You are looking at a potential 20+ degrees reduction in GPU load temperature.

In the short period of time I had the maze 4 on the x850, my load temp went from 85-90 to 55-60. Card had some unrelated issues, and had to be RMA'ed, havent quite found the courage to re-mount it :D

On my Athlon XP system, with the GPU in the loop, I used to get 38 or 39 degrees full load with a BIX2 & Dangerden D4 pump. This was with the CPU @ 2.4GHz 1.85V too.

On my current 3500+ system, with only the cpu in the loop, I get around 25-26 degrees idle, 33-34 degrees full load.

btw. I noticed that block you linked cools the GDDR as well. I'd recommend that you find a GPU only block. You will introduce a lot of heat into your loop because of the GDDR, and you will gain little memory clocking headroom from it. The GPU block alone will reduce the PCB temperature substantially and keep your GDDR cool. Some simple ram-sinks should fit the bill nicely.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I have the whitewater as well ...although cathar is now making the storm available to swiftech http://www.swiftnets.com/products/storm.asp. you can't go wrong with swiftech in general dude and cathar is the master of hi performance waterblock's. :thumbsup:

ya get th storm i really wanna see that going.