Need some help with Abit Nf7-S2 .

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hello everyone I was wondering if you could give some help with a problem that I have with an Abit nf7-s2 .
I have a Nf7-s2 mb with a Sempron 2400+ , 256 mb ram pc3200 , an Ati 9250 se , Hdd Segate 80 gb Sata ; the problem is that my system works very very slow when i exit a program or I try to run multiple programs , it has big pauses durring whitch the hdd working a lot and it makes more noise the usual , I must say that I've tried running with another memory , another hdd , another Power Supply ...
I think that is a problem with some settings in bios or windows but I don't know whitch ones .. Plls Help !
And sorrry for my english I'm much better at speaking it that writting it :)

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I assume you're running windows xp. It runs painfully slow (with symptoms similar to what you're complaining about) with less than 512MB of RAM. I would suggest upgrading to 1GB of ram for best performance.
  • edited July 2005
    shwaip I think that the problem isn't with low ram ... For example it hangs when I exit Cs 1.6 and after that the Hdd loads up a lot when i try to accesss it ...
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    More RAM.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    When you don't have enough RAM, part of your hard drive is used as a swap file, mwhich is virtual RAM. Get more RAM and you'll think you got a brand new computer. Get 1GB.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Definitely RAM.
  • edited July 2005
    No you don't understad I've had weaker pc's that worked better then this one , and by the way I've added another 256 mb ram (same type/ producer) and it still works the same ...
    edited July 2005
    To check this out, (still assuming you're running xp), press control - alt -delete and bring up the task manager. Click on the "performance" tab. There's a box that says "Physical Memory (K)" Please tell us what your computer says in that box.

Could you please tell us what OS you're running, along with a list of programs that are open (A print screen of the process tab of the task manager, sorted by Memory usage will work nicely).
  • edited July 2005
    The os is Windows Xp Home Sp2 I did what you asked with the memory and processes and to get a better picture after I took those screenshots , windows paint load in 50 sec. time . I think that this is not normal ...
    edited July 2005
    You have 50 MB of ram free. When you play CS, Windows XP stores some of the data that's currently in RAM to the HD to make space in the memory for CS. After you exit, some of the other processes want to access RAM, and Windows needs to reload the data into RAM. This is the noise you hear from the HD.

You need more RAM. I would suggest a GB, but you will definitely see a great improvement with 512MB
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    I know they are different boards, but with the NF7-S lots of people had system troublem when "CPU Disconnect function" was enabled. Hunt around in your BIOS and see if that's true for your board.

If you look at your first picture you'll see that you only have about 52MB (52456KB) of physical memory free. This means that your hard drive is carrying the memory load (via the page file) for virtually every program you open. The fact that bumping it to 512MB without seeing any improvement is a mystery. :scratch:

EDIT: shwaip was too quick for me. :D
  • edited July 2005
    The print screens that I've posted were taken during a most loaded case scenario usualy the only large memory proccess is explorer arround 14.401k and as I've said before I've tried with 512 mb ram and still had the same problems so please help me find another solution ! Thx everyone for your time and help ..
    edited July 2005
    Did you look for the "CPU Disconnect function" stuff in the BIOS? :cool:

Failing all else, you might want to check out the Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum and see if there is something nasty running in the background.

I would also heartily recommend running Memtest86 to ensure that what little memory you have is not dorked. A hard drive test (available from the drive manufacturer's website) would not be a bad idea, either. I went to visit my dad three weeks ago and his system (with a full GB of ram) seemed on the sluggish side. Yesterday he called and told me that his drive tested bad.

Even if everything checks out A-OK hardware and software wise, you really should bump your ram to at least 512MB. On an otherwise solid system it will make all the difference in the world.
    edited July 2005
    You may need to defrag your hard drive.
    Open My Computer, right click your c: drive. Select properties. Select the tools tab. Defrag the HD.

Another problem could be a lack of free space on the hard drive. I don't know how much space you've got free.
  • edited July 2005
    I can't find the Cpu disconect function in bios are you sure that it's there ? I've did what you've told me ( defrag , free some more space ) I now have 2 gb free on C: and aprox. 7 Gb free on D: . Still not working right .. :(
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2005
    If you have the CPU disconnect function, it would be under the Advanced chipset features in the BIOS. (at least it is on my NF7).

If you upgrade your ram to atleast 512meg, you should notice a big difference. Ram is relatively cheap right now, personally I'd go with a gig. (I recently did).

I'm no storage guru, but that drive is full. On my old drives it would seem to slow down when they got beyond 1/2 full. (my opinion).

Check for spyware! One little hidden nasty will slow your comp to a crawl.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Donut wrote:
    If you have the CPU disconnect function, it would be under the Advanced chipset features in the BIOS. (at least it is on my NF7).

If you upgrade your ram to atleast 512meg, you should notice a big difference. Ram is relatively cheap right now, personally I'd go with a gig. (I recently did).

I'm no storage guru, but that drive is full. On my old drives it would seem to slow down when they got beyond 1/2 full. (my opinion).

Check for spyware! One little hidden nasty will slow your comp to a crawl.
    About half of the options under "Advanced chipset features" in the NF7-S2 and NF7-S2G are not present including "CPU Disconnect" as compared to the NF7 and NF7-S. The NF7-S2 and NF7-S2G are not intended as 'enthusiast' boards and are aimed more at 'mainstream' users.

I say SpyDer_ThE definitely needs more memory! 256mb is no where near enough memory for Win XP.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    About half of the options under "Advanced chipset features" in the NF7-S2 and NF7-S2G are not present including "CPU Disconnect" as compared to the NF7 and NF7-S. The NF7-S2 and NF7-S2G are not intended as 'enthusiast' boards and are aimed more at 'mainstream' users.

I say SpyDer_ThE definitely needs more memory! 256mb is no where near enough memory for Win XP.

Thanks for clarifying the S2 options, I didn't think they had all the options. (I read it somewhere, might have even been one of your old posts :) )
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Donut

I just noticed what you said earlier about his drive being full. Yes, I agree and would only say it wasn't full if it was 5 GB drive. All drives or partitions gradually bcome slower as they fill up. I always consider any partition full @ 75%. A partition I create for the sole purpose of containing my OS only will be twice as big as what will be going on it. You are absolutely correct with your observation of becoming noticeably slower @ 50% Also, the first partition will always be the fastest because it is on the outside edge of the platter where it is spinning fastest. All susequent partitions will be slower than the one before it. However most people will not notice this under normal use unless the partitions are close to saturation.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    IN my personal experience, going from 256 to 512 wasn't that much better. Going from either 256 or 512 up to 768 was awesome. Listen bud, there's nothing wrong with your computer except that you need more RAM. Get at least 768, RAM is so cheap now, get 1GB total and you'll see a huge difference. If not I'll eat my words.
    edited July 2005
    I just got off the phone from helping one of my nieces upgrade her memory. She replaced her old 256MB stick with 1GB of Kingston PC2700. Cost after rebate: $85

You will not be sorry if you upgrade. :cool: