speakers won't play sound from microphone inputs

edited July 2005 in Hardware
When I first set up my microphone, it worked fine, I just plugged it in, and It worked. I'm trying to do it again, but its not working. I plug it in, test it and everything, but no sound comes out of the speakers.

I'm running windows XP.

If I go to Control Panel ---> Sounds Speech & Audio Devices ---> Speech - the sound detection meter moves if I speak into the mic, but no sound comes out of the speakers.

If I go to Control Panel ---> Sounds Speech & Audio Devices ---> Sounds and Audio Devices - click on the voice tab and then go to test hardware, during the playback portion of the test, sound DOES playback. But this is the only time it does so.

Whats the problem?

Comments

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Check you volume settings. Normally Windows mutes the MIC line so it doesn't cause feedback in the speakers.
  • edited July 2005
    The volume is turned up....
    Thanks for the reply but...

Why would you think its a problem with the volume levels??? I said I heard the playback during the hardward test...a reasonable person would think that If the volume was high enough during this part, then the volume would be at a high enough level. :scratch:

Also, I'm running XP so the mic doesn't have a mute button.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited July 2005
    He said that because you've never said anything about going into the audio mixer and either unmuting the microphone or turning up the volume. You've only said you turned up or checked the system volume. if you click on the advanced tab in the device volume section of sounds and audio device properties, you should get a mixer pop-up that I believe will show your microphone muted or turned down. That's why he said check the volume controls.
  • edited July 2005
    And if your mic isn't muted or turned down, you might want to look underneith your desk and check your subwoofer if you have one. Most speakers get their power from the subwoofer, it might be that the speakers aren't getting power.

The problem itself isn't a hardware problem, at least from what you say though... so I wonder what it could be as well.