nForce4 vs Silicon Controller

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited July 2005 in Hardware
DFI SLI-DR

Which ones offers the best performance....or rather uses the least amount of CPU? Its not going to be a raid setup, just a single drive or now.

I was wondering which controller uses the least amount of CPU time since I figured that both would have a neglible difference on a non-raid setup.

Anyone know of a review testing this?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Since the NF4 controller is native to the chipset and really has no bus (only so to speak) and the SI controller is on the PCI bus I will give the nod to the NF4 controller. But if RAID is not 'enabled' it will not make any difference for just running a single drive or any number of drives not in a RAID array.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Ahh that was my guess. Less chips for the data to travel across. Thanks for the input.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    I agree, stick with the NF4 sata. I'd venture a guess that even with a single drive, you'll get better low end transfer rates. Peak STR will likely be the same.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited July 2005
    Also, the NF4 is native SATA II. Should be able to move more data in burst mode than the SI controller which I believe is SATA I. As stated above, you'd see more of a difference in a Raid setup, but you MAY see a difference in "feel" using the nVidia.
    Just a thought.

Flint