recruiting folders

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
i have recruited two

im trying my best to spread the word but it would appear that when some ppl see the dos style window it runs in, they get scared and think its some virus!

yes i know its stupid and i try to educate but i spose we have the anti social ppl who create virus' to blame for the general mistrust of unknown programs

anyhow, i kinda went off on a tangent

the purpose of this topic is to see how many ppl each of you has recruited and what you are doing to help spread the word

also if anyone has any ideas how we could further spread the word then please let them be known

i have converted 2 ppl so far

they havent got very powerful processors and unfortunately dont leave their computers on all the time but every unit couts right?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    You can always install the GUI client. Or even better, set the console up as a service so they will never even see it. That way they can never mess with it.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited July 2005
    if i set it up as a service, will they be able to keep track of it?

how easy is it to uninstall the service?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Type services.msc

There you can find the service and disabled it so it will never start with the computer until told to do so.

You can still use EM3 or other monitoring program to track the progress of the client.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    I found when people ask about folding (I put a couple of posters up at work) they are instantly suspicious, they ask with a little grin then look at you as if you are a lucky charm salesman. I've explained it to loads of people but how many have actually looked at the site? I don't know.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I've brought in about 4 people to folding under their own usernames. I have... obtained... about 20 computers all running under my name. I talk to them about F@H and then ask them if I can install the application. All of them say yes....

That's how I moved up the ranks.... But then again, I own 7 PC's all running F@H.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I tell my students about it each term. Alot of them joined, but veryu few under team 93. After I gave the cards to my last class, I think a couple of them decided to join up.

I get a new batch of students in a week. I'll talk to them about it after about a week or so, and I'll give cards to the interested ones. I'll have about fifty new students, so let's see who joins up in a few weeks. :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2005
    Only managed 2. Unfortunately they stopped.

Guess we make up for it with around 20 or 21 computers in our house.