CD burner fried and took motherboard with it

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
My wife had mentioned that she couldn't play or burn anything on the CD burner in her machine. So I investigated and found that it was not spinning up at all. I dug around and found another slightly older burner in my parts box that I installed. As soon as I hit the power button I smelled that hideous burning components smell and reached down and hit the button on the UPS which shut it down instantly. And I was surprised to still hear a crackling sound coming from the box and then saw grey smoke coming from it as well which lasted a few seconds. I then pulled the panel to see a little smoke still hanging near the drive I just put in and removed it to detirmine the damages. Then I pulled the cover to see the inside where it had indeed been frying. :shakehead I then thought that was the end of it but nooooooo. :bawling: I found yet another burner and put this one on the bench where I hooked it up to my test board and PSU. This burner tested OK so I put it in her case and hooked it up and was still shaken so I left the panel off and just hooked up my test monitor. No post! :eek: I re-checked everything and tried again, still no post. I then tested the ram, CPU and vid card on another board aand it was all good. So I removed the board from the case and treid the original components on it with no joy. Then I tried swapping other components and cleared the CMOS just in case but no go. The less than 2 month old board was dead. :bawling: I am boxing it up now to try to RMA it with my fingers crossed. So, has anyone ever had this happen before? What would make this happen? All the same components except vid card (PCIe and only had an AGP board here are on different board in the case with same PSU that is all now running fine.

Comments

• PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Sorry, Goat. That is a very sad tale of computer woe.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    never seen that before...
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    I would worry about the psu. Check the molex's carefully.

Tex
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Tex wrote:
    I would worry about the psu. Check the molex's carefully.

Tex
    I checked all the connectors from that PSU (Superflower 550 Modular) under my lighted mag glass and they all look fine. No signs of heat, melting or loose fit. I also tested it on my test board and all the rails llok good too. When ever I get new hardware I run it on my bench to make sure it works and also log all the readings so I can go back and use it for referance. All rails are exactyly where they were when that PSU was new 2 months ago. 12.08 / 5.06 / 3.33 (measured @ the ATX plug w/ a multimeter while powering my test board and same 4 fans I always use during testing)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    if it makes you feel any better, my cousin just had a cd shatter in his drive =\
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2005
    My buddy had the same thing happen with his sony dvd rom.But his board survived (asus p4p800).