WTF is the prob with this DFI ULTRA D MB ?? PLZ HELP :\

edited July 2005 in Hardware
hi the things is this,
i got my DFI LAN PARTY ULTRA D board with a 3000+ AMD VENICE CPU and an Enermax 420W power supply
i connected everything as it suppose to, press the power button, the MB starts but...no post, no HD loading no nada!
tried to disconnect everything, tried to take the MB out of the case but nothing helped

then i tried to boot the pc with no memory, or no video card, even tried booting without the CPU ! but the boared didn't beep. didn't do a thing besides turning on 4 red lights
i called the store i bought the boared from and they checked it out,
by what they said, everything ran smoothly when they used it...
then i came to think that the power supply is the problam...
so i wanted to ask u first if any of u ever seen this prob before with the ULTRA D ?
and do u think that my power supply (ENERMAX 420W) is the problam ?
2 weak ? can be ?

waiting for an answer because i'm just don't know what to do next
:confused:

thx

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    Mine takes a while to post. Much longer then any other board I have here and I have a variety of AMD64 systems.

Take the cpu, memory, MB and PSU to the shop and have them test it.

Try another video card and unplug all the drives. HD's, cdroms and floppy. Then power it up again.

Tex
  • edited July 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Mine takes a while to post. Much longer then any other board I have here and I have a variety of AMD64 systems.

Take the cpu, memory, MB and PSU to the shop and have them test it.

Tex

well that will be the easy thing to do,
    but will cost me quite a bit around here...

i just wanted to know which power supply works with this bored for sure and if 420W is not enough for the boared...
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Having learned this lesson the hard way (Props to MTGoat, Tex, Lemonlime, and others for getting me up and running)....

it sounds like it might be your memory. Have you tried a different kind known to work in the DFI boards?

FYI, I originally used some Corsair XMS PC3200 and I couldn't even get the board to boot. As suggested, I used a stick of PNY memory to get into the BIOS where I upped the memory voltage to 2.9. After that I could boot into the BIOS with the Corsair, but couldn't get Windows XP to install. I went back to the PNY and got all the way into updating XP with SP2, but every time, the OS would hang on loading. I finally troubleshot it to the Maxtor Diamondmax SATA, I was using as my boot OS. So after replacing the Maxtor with a Western Digital and the Corsair with some G.skill TCCD, I am up in running....WHEW!
  • edited July 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    Having learned this lesson the hard way (Props to MTGoat, Tex, Lemonlime, and others for getting me up and running)....

it sounds like it might be your memory. Have you tried a different kind known to work in the DFI boards?

FYI, I originally used some Corsair XMS PC3200 and I couldn't even get the board to boot. As suggested, I used a stick of PNY memory to get into the BIOS where I upped the memory voltage to 2.9. After that I could boot into the BIOS with the Corsair, but couldn't get Windows XP to install. I went back to the PNY and got all the way into updating XP with SP2, but every time, the OS would hang on loading. I finally troubleshot it to the Maxtor Diamondmax SATA, I was using as my boot OS. So after replacing the Maxtor with a Western Digital and the Corsair with some G.skill TCCD, I am up in running....WHEW!

i used twinmos speed premium 512 mb
    but i don't think that's the prob because i tried to boot up with no memory installed and the boared didn't make a beep...
    and as i said, i connected the boared to the power upply only and still, no beep at all... so the prob must be either with the MB or the PS...
    MB checked out ok at the store, so... PS ??
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    That Enermax may be only part of the problem. If memory serves me right it only has like 16 on the 12v rail and these boards need a bit more than that. Does it have a separate 4 pin connector? These baoards as Preacher mentioned are some picky SOB's as far as memory is concerned. Find out what the shop that had it running used and try to use something different if you can too. Also, do not use the yellow dimm slots. I would also see what kind of PSU the store tested it with. Do as Tex mentioned and keep it out of the case till you get it running with no drives or anything connected. There is only one jumper I would recomend to move, and that is the onboard speaker jumper. Set it to 'ON'. You won't get any beeps till it posts and everything is right.
  • edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    That Enermax may be only part of the problem. If memory serves me right it only has like 16 on the 12v rail and these boards need a bit more than that. Does it have a separate 4 pin connector? These baoards as Preacher mentioned are some picky SOB's as far as memory is concerned. Find out what the shop that had it running used and try to use something different if you can too. Also, do not use the yellow dimm slots. I would also see what kind of PSU the store tested it with. Do as Tex mentioned and keep it out of the case till you get it running with no drives or anything connected. There is only one jumper I would recomend to move, and that is the onboard speaker jumper. Set it to 'ON'. You won't get any beeps till it posts and everything is right.

the problam is probably not the memory...
    i just talk to a guy who uses the same memory and video card as i do...
    he thinks the problam might be with the CPU...
    what do u think?

b.t.w
    about the speaker jumper,
    i already did that... but the boared still didn't beep...
    edited July 2005
    Jhonta wrote:
    the problam is probably not the memory...
    i just talk to a guy who uses the same memory and video card as i do...
    he thinks the problam might be with the CPU...
    what do u think?

b.t.w
    about the speaker jumper,
    i already did that... but the boared still didn't beep...
    But is he using that memory on the board in question also???

You will also never really know till you try it and yes you should get a new high quality PSU of reputable manufacture with a 12v line of no less than 30 amps. Look in my sig below as I am running 2 of these boards and have also helped many build, configure and troubleshoot them too. Beleive me as I have no reason th yank your strings.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Jhonta,
    why don't you post all the specs of your rig? That would make it a lot easier to see what might be causing your problem. You could be like me, having two incompatible devices which made it doubly hard to diagnose.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    Hmm, that is odd. I'm surprised that you are getting no post-beeps at all.

You mentioned that you have an Enermax 420. Is that a 20-pin ATX PSU?. In the long run, it would be very wise to invest in a good quality 24-pin ATX 2.0 PSU.

Have you connected ALL of the on-board molex connectors including the 4-pin by the chipset fan and the floppy style connector by the first PCI-E slot? This can make a big difference when using 20-pin PSUs.

If it is indeed a hardware issue, my guess would be that it is the mainboard or CPU. I'm honestly not too sure if a bad CPU would cause a no-post beep though.

A few things to try:
    1) Take the cmos battery out of the board for 20-30 minutes.
    2) Ensure all board power connectors are hooked up
    3) Ensure that you only have one stick of memory in the orange slot closest to the CPU
    4) Re-seat your CPU in the socket. Inspect for any bent/damaged pins etc.
    5) Ensure that you have NO USB devices hooked up whatsoever. Ensure that your keyboard is plugged into the PS2 port.
    6) Disconnect ALL serial ATA, IDE and floppy devices. Do not connect them to molex connectors either.
    7) Try a basic PCI graphics card (any will do).
    8) Try another ATX power supply. Ensure it is a minimum of 350 watts. Not a good long-term PSU, but just to test and see if your Enermax is the culpret.

If none of the above works, I'd see if you can get your CPU tested. If the CPU is okay, then I'd call DFI and arrange for an RMA.

Good luck with your board. They are awesome once you get them up and running

:thumbsup:
  • edited July 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Hmm, that is odd. I'm surprised that you are getting no post-beeps at all.

You mentioned that you have an Enermax 420. Is that a 20-pin ATX PSU?. In the long run, it would be very wise to invest in a good quality 24-pin ATX 2.0 PSU.

Have you connected ALL of the on-board molex connectors including the 4-pin by the chipset fan and the floppy style connector by the first PCI-E slot? This can make a big difference when using 20-pin PSUs.

If it is indeed a hardware issue, my guess would be that it is the mainboard or CPU. I'm honestly not too sure if a bad CPU would cause a no-post beep though.

:thumbsup:

well... the enermax is a 24-pin PSU 2.0 PSU...
    and i tried to connect all the on boared molex connectors (altough i have no idea what they r there for...) and i tried to connect only the 24 and the 4 pin connectors, but nothing helped

according to the store i bought it at, the MB is perfectly fine, works smoothly at there lab..
    i think i'll give them a call later and ask which cpu and psu they used..
    but if u guys have another theory or a new advise i will be happy to hear it..

b.t.w
    this is my spec
    AMD 3000+ Venice
    DFI lan party ultra d
    2*512 Twinmos speed premium
    power color X800 XL 256 M
    WesternDigital 160 G SATA

hope that helped :(
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    i think the mobo shipped with an older BIOS for winny cores....find a friend with a winny, pop it in, flash BIOS, and re-install venice cpu.
  • edited July 2005
    ryko wrote:
    i think the mobo shipped with an older BIOS for winny cores....find a friend with a winny, pop it in, flash BIOS, and re-install venice cpu.

really ? is it possible?
    did a bios update came out with the venice cores ?
    if so then the prob is very very simple to solve... (!)

but... do u think that can explain the no beep from the board?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    just a guess really, but i found this on DFI's website under BIOS release notes,

"...4. Enhanced the support of Athlon 64 in version E3(Venice), E4(San Diego)."

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bios_download_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=NA

so it's worth a shot. could also be why the store is able to get your mobo working--- they are testing with a winchester core cpu. call and ask if that is indeed the case.

if not at least you can eliminate it as a possibility.

EDIT: not sure about the beeps but it's plausible...
    edited July 2005
    Just an FYI, even the oldest 1/25 retail bios WILL boot with a san diego/venice core cpu. I suppose they simply 'offically' support it in the later revisions. Rgone tested one just fine on the first revision of the board and 1/25.
    edited July 2005
    Btw, have you tried to power on the board using the small 'on board' power switch to power on the board?

Also, have you used that 420 enermax on any other boards before? or is it brand new? You could try to fire it up without anything connected (simply short the green/black conductor on the ATX connector). Test the rails with a multimeter if you have one, or bring it to the computer shop for a quick test.
    edited July 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Btw, have you tried to power on the board using the small 'on board' power switch to power on the board?

Also, have you used that 420 enermax on any other boards before? or is it brand new? You could try to fire it up without anything connected (simply short the green/black conductor on the ATX connector). Test the rails with a multimeter if you have one, or bring it to the computer shop for a quick test.
    After he posted that it is a 24 pin 2.0 spec PSU in post #11 I found it here on Newegg and it has a 24 pin connector w/ 3.3v=30 / 5v=30 / 12v=18 (x2). I would still try it on something else to be sure and at least rule it out.

I lost track here so bear with me please. Is the board currently out of the case and laying on a non-conductive surface or the static bag that it came in??? This will eliminate that it is not accidentaly shorting out on something in the case. Did you buy the CPU and board from a local shop? If you did then they should not be charging you to test them to eliminate a replacement. Where do you live?
  • edited July 2005
    well guys, i just got the board back from the store i bought it at...
    and surprisingly it works !
    im almost sure the store did something with it(altough they deny it)... because now it boots perfectly with no problam what so ever..

BUT...

after i set up everything and started installing xp pro, a blue screen apeared about the memory...
    then i unplugged one stick and worked with only 1 512 mb and everything was ok..
    (the prob is not in the memory slot it self for sure..)
    then after doing some thinking i wondered if maybe the prob is that the memory isn't getting enought V ... so i tried to change it in the bios
    but whenever i try to change it to 1.7 for example it switches back to 1.6 in a sec
    WTF ? Y ?
    how do i do it permenent ? do u think volatage is the really the prob here ? :confused:

(sorry it came out so long.. i'm just excited about the boared finally booting !! :D )

EDIT:
    about the power connectors...
    i only used the 24 pin and the 4 pin
    didn't connect the molex and the floppy one on the bored.. is that ok ?
    edited July 2005
    Good to hear! :thumbsup:

When you change the voltage just hit enter instead of using the + and - keys. Then after you get it where you want just hit enter again and "F10" to exit and save.

I would hook up one molex and not worry about the floppy connecter on the voard. That is how I have mine.
  • edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Good to hear! :thumbsup:

When you change the voltage just hit enter instead of using the + and - keys. Then after you get it where you want just hit enter again and "F10" to exit and save.

I would hook up one molex and not worry about the floppy connecter on the voard. That is how I have mine.

well i solved the problam by updating the bios and got the V to 2.8 (enough right ?)

now i wanted to ask if there's anything special i need to config in the bios after the upgrade ?
    maybe the memory timing ? can some1 tell me to which i need to change them ?
    whta about the PCI-E settings? need to touch them ? etc..

thx alot everyone for the support... ! im just glad that my board is up and running ! :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    • My suggestion with this board and the bios is that if it is working well now to leave it alone for the time being. ;) Then start to spend some time looking around in the bios and becoming famiiar with it.
    • The memory timing will depend on what you are running it at and exactly which revision you have.
    • The PCI-e settings are fine as they are in default form. Just make sure PCI-e is the first display device.
    • Here are the 2 main sources of reading to help familiarize yourself. They are listed in the order I find most useful.

Xtremesystems

DFI-Street
    edited July 2005
    Awesome stuff! Glad you got it up and running. These systems can be very quirky sometimes!

That Vdimm bug you mentioned earlier is a known issue in the 1/25 bios. Once you get your rig up and running, and you can verify that it is 100% stable, flash it to the 3/10 retail (or whatever the latest official DFI bios is).

Good luck with the tuning now! let us know how it goes, and if you have any further questions..