Memory passes memtest on one computer...

DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hi all,

I have a computer that obviously has a problem. I can't install *any* windows without it halting during the installation. It never stops at the same spot either. I decided to run Memtest86+ and of the 5 sticks I tested all 5 showed errors. I was suspicious of this so I pulled the sticks out of a good, running computer and tested those as well. Memtest86+ showed lots of errors once again. So, I tried all of the sticks in the previously running computer and Memtest86+ showed *no* errors on any of the memory.

The problem computer has CMOS battery issues as it resets every time I pull the power cord. BUT, I make sure I set all of the CMOS options to the proper settings on reboot.

I'm assuming that this is a bad MB or CPU. Is there a way to test this?? :scratch:

Thanks,

Geoff

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Have you tried replacing the battery and made certain the CMOS jumper and all other jumpers (if any) are in the correct positions? Can you test the CPU from the not working board on another board? It certainly sounds like either the board or CPU is at fault since you tested the memory on another system. Could you list the make and model of board and CPU.
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    I have not replaced the battery. Jumper settings haven't changed and this computer used to be my main, everyday computer until I upgraded. Come to think of it, I upgraded because I started having problems. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the CPU is an AMD Athlon 950 - A0950AMT3B and the board is a Biostar M7VKS.

I don't have another board to check a socket A CPU. :(
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    my guess is that hte memory controler is going goodby.
    If you want to keep running then just get onother socket A mobo.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I have not replaced the battery. Jumper settings haven't changed and this computer used to be my main, everyday computer until I upgraded. Come to think of it, I upgraded because I started having problems. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the CPU is an AMD Athlon 950 - A0950AMT3B and the board is a Biostar M7VKS.

I don't have another board to check a socket A CPU. :(
    Ouch! I think your board may well have seen the big silicon pasture in the sky. While that CPU isn't a barn burner by todys standards it would still make an OK CPU for a folder if you had another board or could find one cheap. The big problem would be finding a board that supprts 168 pin SDRAM.

BTW
    Outstanding folding effort on your part! ;)
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Ouch! I think your board may well have seen the big silicon pasture in the sky. While that CPU isn't a barn burner by todys standards it would still make an OK CPU for a folder if you had another board or could find one cheap. The big problem would be finding a board that supprts 168 pin SDRAM.

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing too. Sooooo.... I'm looking on eBay for a replacement board and looks like I can get one shipped for about $20. I'll give it a shot and see if I can get this beast back up and running to do some folding! :)
    BTW
    Outstanding folding effort on your part! ;)

Thanks!