Help with speakers.

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I've been having problems with my speakers lately...I plug them into the back line in port in my computer, and only the right speaker works. When I plug them into the front port, both speakers work. Can someone tell my what I can do to make them both work when plugged into the back port, or what the problem could be? :confused:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    What sound card or onboard sound do you have? What type and how many speakers are there?

Most audio connections these days can pull double-duty to allow for different speaker configurations (2.1, 5.1, etc). It may be that you have that jack configured as a subwoofer port, meaning it only expects one speaker to be attached. See if you have a program (it may be in Device Manager) to set what each connection does. You might also check your mixer settings and make sure that it isn't simply a matter of having the volume at zero for that channel. :)

Note: I removed the other thread for you. Thanks for catching it so quickly. :thumbsup:
  • edited July 2005
    I have no idea how to do any of this, can you tell me? But I think I have a SoundMax Digital Audio card, it that's what that even is. If not, I don't know what I have.
    edited July 2005
    Look in Device Manager and see what it says under "Sound video and game controllers. For the speakers, if they're not marked on the front see if there is a label on the back.

Every audio system has its own configuration tool(s). Once we know for sure what yours is we can look up the settings and go from there. :)
  • edited July 2005
    Uh...the speakers say Model: EMC2.0 on the bottem, and by device manager do you mean the Sound and Audio device manager? And also, I was screwing aroudn with the volume control thing before the speakers quit working. I tried to get them back to default but I don't know what default is...That might be the problem as well.
    edited July 2005
    Go to Control Panel>>System, click on Hardware, then Device Manager. It will list the stuff there.
  • edited July 2005
    Okay, I don't know what's what, so I took a screenshot. Yeah, I have 2 speakers, and they came with my computer, eMachines, so that's all I know about them.

And also here's a screenshot of my volume controls, maybe something is messed up there.
    edited July 2005
    You may be able to find your solution at this site.

Make sure you're using the right audio jacks and have the sound configured for "stereo". With two speakers that's what you want.
  • edited July 2005
    20 I don't get audio out of the left (or right) speaker.

Certain Asus motherboards were shipped without "jumpers" set to their normal default settings. This would cause audio to not work or to only work in one speaker. Check your motherboard for the correct jumper settings.

That's all the website said, and I don't know how to do that, or set my speakers to stereo. Also, did that Aux section on volume control do anything? It wasn't there before, I added it to see what it did.

Also...both speakers USED to work out of that jack, they stopped about a aweek ago.
    edited July 2005
    Coolwhip wrote:
    20 I don't get audio out of the left (or right) speaker.

Certain Asus motherboards were shipped without "jumpers" set to their normal default settings. This would cause audio to not work or to only work in one speaker. Check your motherboard for the correct jumper settings.

That's all the website said...
    Did eMachines put an Asus MB in there? If so, you may have found the answer. What model is your computer? If you're not sure, it may be easier to open the side panel and see what's written (Make & Model) on the MB itself. If you have a manual you might well find a diagram showing jumpers there.
    I don't know how to do that, or set my speakers to stereo.
    See if you have a program to adjust audio settings. There is usually some sort of configuration program, reached from the Start Menu or from Control Panel. My onboard audio (MSI board w/ Realtek sound) has a program called "Sound Effect Manager" which allows me to switch from stereo to quad (or whatever) speakers. Yours will almost certainly have a different name.
    Also, did that Aux section on volume control do anything? It wasn't there before, I added it to see what it did.
    The Aux setting is for Auxiliary Input. You would use that for something like a TV tuner card to provide a way of getting sound into the system. It's not going to help you with getting sound out of it. In fact, it may even change the configuration of the audio jacks and make things worse, though with plain stereo speakers it shouldn't matter.

It would be worth a shot to go to the eMachines website and download the latest SoundMax drivers and install them. That alone might correct the problem - no muss, no fuss. :D
  • edited July 2005
    The model is T3958, and I set my speakers to stereo. If you remember, I said both speakers worked in the front jack, so it's something wrong with the jack in the back, or something it's connected to.

I already have the latest drivers too...I don't know what to do, and I don't want to use my speakers out of the front jack, that's where my headset goes. :(
  • edited July 2005
    Come help me again profdlp, or are you out of suggsetions? I have the latest drivers too so I don't know what else it could be.
    edited July 2005
    Coolwhip wrote:
    ...both speakers worked in the front jack, so it's something wrong with the jack in the back, or something it's connected to...
    I finally figured out what you were referring to. At first I thought you meant Front & Rear speakers, as in a four-speaker setup.

I found a users guide for your computer from eMachines' website. Unfortunately, they did not see fit to include a diagram of the motherboard... :rolleyes:

Have you found any program(s) on your computer to adjust audio properties. I'm referring to something other than volume control.

You might check in the BIOS and see if there is an audio section where you can alter the settings for the front and rear panel audio output.

Another thing to try is checking the jack on the back. Try firing up an mp3 and slowly plugging the speakers into the rear jack. Once it's all the way in try wiggling it around, then slowly remove it. If at any point you manage to hear sound from both speakers you might have a flaky connector built into the motherboard.

The onboard sound rear jacks are built into the motherboard. Sometimes there is a jumper on the board to enable the front connections. Open the side panel and examine the board closely. If there is a jumper to disable the front panel plugs, try doing that.

There should be a set of wires running from the motherboard to the front panel connector. Make a diagram of where all the wires are connected (pay attention to detail!). If nothing else has worked you might want to try removing the wires to the front panel speaker connector - before you do, make sure you'll be able to replace them all properly. ;)
  • edited July 2005
    I took the case off and saw all the wires, but I didn't want to take them out. I tried wiggling around the connector too, nothing happened. I guess I'll just have to plug them into the front port or use my headset. :(