I want my HDTV

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Internet & Media
I think I'll be making the jump to HDTV within the next couple months here. I'm looking at spending something like $1600. Give me some recommendations. I want the biggest and best at that price. One more thing, I absolutely want it to have a 16:9 ratio. I want something like a 55 to 60" TV. I've never had a tv bigger than 27", can't wait to play my xbox and watch the Canes kick the noles' ass in Hi Def.

Thanks

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    this 34" Sony is hands down the best picture quality available in a 16x9 HDTV. its a tube, so its heavy as ****, but you get the highest resolution, etc.

assuming you still want something larger, and you're insistant on 55-60", you're going to have to look at rear projection, so something like this phillips rear projection TV should suit your needs.

I suggest picking out 5 or 6 models you like, and doing extensive research on each to find out which has the LEAST problems, because all of them are guaranteed to have some kind of issue or another (bulbs, what have you)

good luck in your search
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2005
    When I bought my 55" Sony rear projection back in 2003 the reviews I read all said the Mitsubishi rear projection TVs had the best pictures, but I compared a couple of Mitsubishis with the one I bought and the Sony picture was noticably better.

I read a lot of reviews and stuff, but ultimately it came down to what I liked best.

Best thing to do is compare them in-store to see what looks best to you. And when you get it narrowed down to a few models, search the web to see if there are lots of complaints about those models, and like thebaron mentioned, look for the least ammount ofproblems.

Good luck with your purchase. And XBOX is sweet in HD. At least the few games that support it. But even the games that do not support it look a lot better with the RGB HD cables.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Check out the Samsung DLP line...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_R4667W/4505-6484_7-31307908-2.html?tag=top

I went to Sound Advice and thought their picture quality was superb. You can get them from around $1800 all way to $4000.
    edited July 2005
    Yea the Samsung DLPs are sweet but get quite pricey in the 50" range. My next TV will prolly be one of those. Thats a few years off though. I dont quite make enough yet.
    edited July 2005
    keep in mind that while shopping in stores, you CANNOT DIRECTLY COMPARE THE PICTURES of these different TVs. they can all be adjusted to similar picture qualities
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    I'm still dreaming of getting HDTV... :bawling:

My only advice would be to take a DVD you are familiar with and make the store play it on the set before you buy it. The shared video signal on the display room floor can be dodgy, making one set look inferior due only to an iffy cable, or being at the low end of the amplifier used to put the same picture on all TV's. Since you're going to be using it for gaming, I'd take a favorite game and your game console along and make them hook it up for you.

Another old trick of TV salesmen (I sold them as a teenager, never did this myself, but saw it happen) is to set all the TV's with a low commission to wacko settings, like messing up the contrast/brightness/hue/etc. That way they look bad compared to the ones that make big money for the salesman. Don't be afraid to ask to tune the settings yourself (while watching your DVD, of course). Any store that won't let you do that is probably a place you wouldn't want to buy from.

Make sure their return policy is clear and forgiving to the customer. Full money back (a 15% re-stock fee on a $1,600 set would be $240!) within a ten-day period would be OK. 30 days would be much better. It's like getting married - you don't really know how it's going to look day in and day out until it's been around for a while. :vimp:
  • Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited July 2005
    Also remember that when you buy a HDTV that if it says HDTV ready you must purchase the box that decrypts the HD signal. Odds are if you only spend 1600 bucks on the TV you will more than likely have to buy the unit seperate from the TV. You can purchase the TV with the device onboard but they are a little more expensive. Good Luck finding your TV. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Another old trick of TV salesmen (I sold them as a teenager, never did this myself, but saw it happen) is to set all the TV's with a low commission to wacko settings, like messing up the contrast/brightness/hue/etc. That way they look bad compared to the ones that make big money for the salesman.

Oh those EVIL bastardz! ;D I never thought of that. Yet another item added to a long list of reasons to hate BestBuy. :shakehead
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Shadow2018 wrote:
    Also remember that when you buy a HDTV that if it says HDTV ready you must purchase the box that decrypts the HD signal. Odds are if you only spend 1600 bucks on the TV you will more than likely have to buy the unit seperate from the TV. You can purchase the TV with the device onboard but they are a little more expensive. Good Luck finding your TV. :thumbsup:

Yeah I know about HDTV monitors but I was under the impression that as long as I hooked it up to either a cable or satellite HDTV receiver I'd be set. Isn't that so? I'm thinking why buy one with an onboard tuner since I'm going to hook it up to my cable company's HDTV tuner right? I don't see myself not having cable or satellite you know what I mean?
    edited July 2005
    I've pretty much resigned myself to one of the smaller tube HDTVs due to the far superior picture quality (I've been in the market for awhile, buying one when I move at the end of the summer)
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited July 2005
    I've had a plasma screen for about 3 years and recently upgraded to a HD plasma set - my needs where clear that other tech was not going to work

I wanted bigger than 40"
    Wide viewing angle
    brightly lit room
    Computer and other inputs required

plus I think my budget was a bit bigger than yours ;D