DFI NB Cooling

abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hi,

Finally upgraded to an Athlon 64 system :D . Just a quick question though. My chipset temp on my DFI NF4 Ultra-D is at about 50 C, which i'm thinking is way too hot.

Did you guys just slap some AS5 on and use the stock HSF?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I never did anything with mine, not even AS. Where are you getting the temp from? What is you CPU temp? How is the cooling in your case? I am running @ 270 HTT and my NB temp is only 42C. The AS-5 wouldn't hurt. Just to test your case flow I would suggest removing the side panel and placing any fan over the NB area (2-3" would be fine) and see if it gets lower. BTW mine is the same in bios as it is in Smart Guardian.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Hmm mine is 42C in about a 75F room, no case. Thats at stock speeds.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    Mine is at about 47 degrees with an ambient of 26 (pretty warm in here today). I wouldn't worry about it. That is well within acceptable limits. I know DFI's thermal greasing job is usually teh crap, So you could try to reapply some AS5.

One trick, set the chipset fan threshold lower in the bios. I set mine so that it is always at 7000rpm. It is really quiet, so don't worry. Also, if you upped your Vchip in the bios, you can reduce it as well. In all of the overclocking I've done on this NF4, increasing the chipset voltage did little but add extra heat. any more than 1.5v is unnecessary unless you plan to push 300+ bus speeds.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited July 2005
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. In the end I just took of the DFI gunk and slapped some AS5 on. Its now at around 44 degrees. I'm running my 3200 Venice at 300 HTT * 9. CPU temp is around 34 degrees idle and 42 degrees load.

Thanks.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Damn, whats the stepping on that CPU? I have the SLI-DR and a 3200+ Venice as well.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited July 2005
    Is that a good overclock? I was a bit dissapointed actually as people were getting around 2.8GHz. My max stable is 2.75GHz.

Stepping: LBBLE 0516EPGW

What CPUs and overclocks are you guys getting?

Thanks.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited July 2005
    Hahah , i got mine at 2.64 ghz and i don't even want to push it harder for now, as it is moreeeeeee than enough for todays game i think, never see a lag from now on ;) Why push it harder if i won't see benefits in games ? that's only my opinion lol

Btw instead of putting AS5 on my chipset i've put a 92mm Panaflo that throw air directly to the chipset... I got a drop of 12C for the chipset and 1-2C for the cpu ! Now i got temp like 40-44C (underload) for the chipset and like 32C (underload) for the cpu :thumbsup:

I must say that my room is pretty cool too, like 20-22C , so that help to keep everyting cool heh
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    abhi63 wrote:
    Is that a good overclock? I was a bit dissapointed actually as people were getting around 2.8GHz. My max stable is 2.75GHz.

Stepping: LBBLE 0516EPGW

What CPUs and overclocks are you guys getting?

Thanks.

2.75GHz is quite good considering your at 300MHz on your memory. Have you tried using a memory divider or increasing the multiplier? My guess is you should get an extra 50-100MHz in overclock if you take some of the stress off the memory controller.

My winchester for example, will clock up to 2.75GHz stable with 11x multiplier (250 mhz memory, and loose timings), but will not do better than 2.4 with my TCCD @ 300mhz.

For 24/7 operation, I settle for 2.6GHz, 237MHz memory @ 2-3-3-6 timings.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    My 3700 SD is running @ 2.75 w 275 HTT. What I want to know, is how much voltage are you feeding that BH-5? What timings are you running?
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited July 2005
    There'a question I wanted to ask you regarding vdimm volts actually. AFAIK you can only get to 3.2V, but then by switching the jumper block from 1-2 to 2-3 it goes all the way up to 4V.

But regardless of whether the jumper block is on 1-2 or 2-3, I still only get the option of up to 3.2V in the bios.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
  • edited August 2005
    Yup, you have to manually set the vcore voltage to 1.4v then save and exit and then you're vdimm should be unlocked. From there you can change your vcore to whatever you want. :thumbsup: