CPU dead?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I just got my new system together finally... 3200+ AMD 64 Venice core and an MSI k8T Neo2 board. I put the whole thing together, double checked all the connections, and hit power. Nothing.

The little LED indicator is giving me the message for "processor damaged or not installed properly". All the fans are whirring, but that's about it. I even took the whole thing back apart and reapplied the thermal paste - still nothing. I don't have much recourse in the way of testing parts - I can't afford spare 939 parts. Does this pretty much mean I gotta fork out for a new CPU? Has anyone else gotten a DOA AMD 64 from NewEgg? Mine's past the return date, of course - I just had too much to do to install the dumb thing. :(

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    man that really sucks if you can't RMA it or anything... I was planning on getting a 3200+ also!! I sure hope that doesnt happen to me. I'm sure sorry about that :(
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Matt

I think it could be as simple as just needing a newer bios that supports the Venice cores. What memory and PSU are you using? Try switching memory in slots with just one stick.
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited July 2005
    Exactly, Have you tried flashing BIOS?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    When I built my Athlon64 system at the first of the year I read a lot of stuff describing what the other guys have said about a BIOS flash. I went with the Newcastle core over the newer Winchester because of all the horror stories I read about having a DOA system due to the BIOS not liking the newer core. I would not be the least bit surprised if you are running into the same thing with your (even newer) Venice core CPU.

If you can borrow a Newcastle chip for the BIOS flash you might have it whipped. Can you determine your current BIOS version?

Good luck, man. :)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2005
    Put ram in slot 3 then atempt to boot if it posts flash the bios to the latest beta it should fix the problem.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Sorry buddy, it needs a flash with an older core A64 in it. What revision of the BIOS did the board ship with...?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    If you need me to flash it I will. You gotta cover shipping is all. I can also test it for ya at the same time.

If you are SURE its bios related you can buy an updated bios chip for like $20.

Tex
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Thanks for all the replies :)

I'm at least glad to hear it's something other than the BIOS. Sounds like I'm going to have to get a lot more friendly with my system - never flashed a BIOS before so I'll have to look that bit up.

mtgoat - The RAM is two 512 sticks of OCZ DDR and the PSU is an Antec 500 SmartPower.

There definitely aren't any 64 chips to be borrowed out here... I'd be lucky to find more than one person with that chip in their system anywhere on campus in the middle of summer, let alone someone willing to yank it :-/ I'll try mtgoat's/grayfox's advice and see where that gets me.

I appreciate the offer, Tex :cheers: I'll see where I get with this mem bit first since I'm rather low on money at the moment.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    ...There definitely aren't any 64 chips to be borrowed out here...
    If all else fails and you can wait three weeks, bring it to the LAN and I'll loan you my Newcastle for the BIOS flash. :)

Maybe primesuspect can watch and learn a thing or two. :vimp:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Err, the memory is 3200 dual channel if that matters.

I tried moving the memory around with no dice.

//edit: Thanks prof. I may end up restoring my system to its original state and going that route...
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Like the MTGoat said :

You need to try it with only 1 stick in slot 3. This keeps the memory controller on the cpu from trying to run dual channel and crashing out.

Clear the cmos and then turn it on holding down the insert key. Pretty common issue with that board and the new cores. Problem is that the bios has issues with the Venice, San Diego, and X2 cores (they all have the same memory controller). Here's a current German beta bios link for the new cores

http://www.msi-computer.de/produkte/main_idx_view.php?Prod_id=400&Seite=BIOS

Sorry to say MSI has dropped the ball on the new cores so far. Lot of people upset about it too. Main reason I don't have a X2 setting in mine yet :)

Another thing that sounds stupid is this board has issues with certain keyboards. Will play dead until another type of keyboard gets plugged in.

Hope it all helps and you can at least get some life in it til you can do dual channel with a new bios. Doesn't always fix it, but it should show some life at least.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    ...never flashed a BIOS before so I'll have to look that bit up.

You never flashed a BIOS... Me too... I leave my clothes on around my PC's...
    ;D

But really... you've never updated a BIOS, huh... weird. It's not tough on a system that works but that said, I HAVE killed a system. That's one bad flash out of at least 60 other positive flashes...